Droolinggimps Big Guide to Fish

Associate
Really interesting post, thank you for it! I should try out some more fish. I do like zander the best tho. Cant get it here (well never seen anywhere) so cant wait to go home and try if I have any luck with fishing this summer...

Also... that filleting! I used to work in a factory filleting trout and salmon and first thing I got teached was never to remove the head. Had a one horrible day when all 6000kg of trout came headless... Getting it done in 8hours was pain.
Too much waste as well, need sharper knife. :) Made me wanna try how fast I can do it now. I havent filleted anything for over a year.

Soldato
OP
Thanks for your post.. I only take the head of our Salmon, any other fish I leave on when filleting.

Yeah there was a bit of waste but like I mentioned in the comment on my video (iirc) my knife was a bit pants to say the least.. Got some new ones now and I may make another video sometime soon.. See if I can beat my time, wish I guess I can due to having better tools :)

Soldato
Great post mate.

Just what I was after really. Saw some monkfish tail on the counter at Tesco recently and it looked amazing. Misses is quite partial to a bit of monkfish but didn't really know how to cook it etc.

She orders monkfish scampi out quite often. Maybe I will give that a go.

Man of Honour
What is a good easy to find alternative to American catfish, as I cant find it, or is it named something else in the auk.
For blackened catfish if that makes a difference.

Soldato
OP
Ahh you might be on about Basa.. That's what we call it here in the UK

The basa fish, Pangasius bocourti, is a species of catfish in the family Pangasiidae. Basa are native to the Mekong and Chao Phraya basins in Indochina.[2] These fish are important food fish with an international market. They are often labeled in North America and Australia as "basa fish", "swai",[3] or "bocourti".[4] In the UK all species of Pangasius may legally be described as river cobbler, basa, pangasius, panga, or any of these with the addition of "catfish".[5] In Europe, these fish are commonly marketed as "pangasius" or "panga".[6] Other related shark catfish may occasionally be incorrectly labeled as basa fish, including P. hypophthalmus (iridescent shark) and P. pangasius (yellowtail catfish).

Soldato
OP
er...... NO.

At Morrisons and I presume most supermarkets Cod loin is around £18 kg (currently half price at Morrisons). No such thing as 'prime'. A cod Loin is a Cod Loin regardless of what cod it came from. It is just a fillet that has had the skin, belly flap and tail end part of the meat cut away. All you're left with a is a chunk of meat that is long and meaty.

Soldato
Went sea fishing a few weeks ago - caught a Rockling, however I had to freeze it in the mean time. At 14" the poor blighter is a pretty good specimen. Unfortunately even though it tried to snag the line in it's lair.. it decided to take the mackerel on the 50b rod rather than the 20lb rod (with 15b line).

14" 3 Bearded Rockling caught today..

Rockling is a member of the cod family. So decent eating. After a day defrosting and in water to soak, it's in the oven in foil with a bit of butter and a bit of lime. For me - I'll add chilli as a sauce but as the mrs doesn't like hot stuff.. simple cooking. If it was warmer - I'd BBQ it..

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Looks cool. Hope its tastes good. Let us know. :)

Just so you guys know. I am being made redundant at the end of April so I wont be a fishmonger anymore. However, I endeavor to answer any questions you may need answering..

Lost my job but wont lose my knowledge. :)

Associate
Went fishing with my family over Saturday (well I went shopping around Weymouth most of the time) brother some how caught a 12 pound bass on Preston beach, didn't have an oppertunity to take any pictures as they had already gutted and filleted it :/ tasted good though :D

Associate
Just seen this post and wanted to thank you. Must have taken quite a while to write all that.
Going to gradually have a read through it as I do like trying out different fish.

Soldato
OP
Unfortunately Virgin has stopped webspace so the pictures within the OP have gone. Once I get some spare time I might re-host the pictures. They have all been lost so will have to dig out some others.

Back
Top Bottom