Droolinggimps Big Guide to Fish

Soldato
Just had a new fish and chip shop open in walking distance ....

It is serving Rock eel as opposed to the more common Rock Salmon I was familiar with years ago.
Has anyone asked their local chip shop what particular fish they are serving under the name Rock, or what would you now expect. ?
Anyone found that Rock is a disappointment compared to their memories of its flavour ? so they have abandoned it.

( A google search showed the following which suggest that Rock Salmon, whilst it used to be predominately spiny dogfish,
that is now fished out, so
But many other shark varieties, including the common and starry smooth-hound, small spotted and black mouth catshark and nursehound — all perfectly harmless and quite beautiful — are not protected by EU fishing regulations and are still being caught — usually by trawling using enormous nets — sold, and eaten, as rock salmon.
This all sounds reminiscent of the horse meat scandals
)

Soldato
Bump - I am getting hungry ;) - are there no other aficionado's for fish&chips UK's favourite takeaway ? or is everyone healthy eating

(maybe stickies just become part of the furniture)

Soldato
I'm cooking a whole turbot for Christmas Day dinner (doing things backwards and having our proper Christmas on boxing day, and doing a Wellington for that). Never cooked one before, anyone any tips?
I was just going to keep it very, very simple and roast it with fennel, tarragon and lemon but always open to ideas!

Any suggestions for sides?

Associate
I'm cooking a whole turbot for Christmas Day dinner (doing things backwards and having our proper Christmas on boxing day, and doing a Wellington for that). Never cooked one before, anyone any tips?
I was just going to keep it very, very simple and roast it with fennel, tarragon and lemon but always open to ideas!

Any suggestions for sides?

I had never cooked one before but when I was in Spain earlier this year we found some in the local supermarket and it was sooooo cheap we bought the whole fish.

I cooked it like this;

chopped up an onion a few cloves of garlic and a whole fennel and put that on the bottom of the oven tray and placed the fish on top. I put plenty of salt and pepper on the fish and poured on 3/4 a bottle of dry white wine a few slices of lemon on top and covered with foil. As I was unsure how long to cook it for I checked it a few times checking with a knife to make sure the thickest bit was cooked, but only just.

Once the fish was cooked I took it out really carefully and placed in on a serving tray and then transferred the cooking juices to a pan and made into a sauce by reducing.

I was one of the most slap dash cooking events i've done but it was one of the tastiest. The fish was outstanding!

hope that helps. From start to finish it didn't take longer than an hour.

Associate
I have never been a big fan of fish but during lockdown, I have engaged with local fish guy and been eating more. Mostly Sea Bass and Red Mullett although also tried some sushi grade salmon recently.

As such, I have never had a need to venture into this part of the forum before and wow ! Kudos to the Droolinggimp for writing such a comprehensive post. Good man.

Soldato
Got some "basa" fillets, or Vietnamese catfish basically cheapest white fish fillets.

I normally get smoked but Tesco delivered plain, I'm after ideas on what to do with them, I'm thinking some kind of Thai or curry.

I had Thai from a food van which had white fish done in like a Thai style breadcrumb which was nice.

But open to suggestions.

Soldato
OP
Wow, good to see this thread still has its uses. A curry is a good option. Personally, I would go the route of baking it in sea salt. Although baking it in the salt is better for non filleted fish. Its as simple as a layer of sea salt, plonk fish on top and cover with more salt. I have done this with a variety of different fish over the years and all have turned out pretty good. My favourite was Gurnards in the salt.

Associate
Got some "basa" fillets, or Vietnamese catfish basically cheapest white fish fillets.

I normally get smoked but Tesco delivered plain, I'm after ideas on what to do with them, I'm thinking some kind of Thai or curry.

I had Thai from a food van which had white fish done in like a Thai style breadcrumb which was nice.

But open to suggestions.

Moqueca

It's pretty easy to make if you can find red palm oil and has quite a distinct flavour.

Back
Top Bottom