Dropbox UK Alternative?

Soldato
Try wuala or humyo. I think both are based in the EU.

Be careful, as being based in the EU doesn't actually mean that the firms comply with EU data protection laws.
Both Google and Microsoft have invested in Irish data farms, that some universities then used to migrate to cloud based services. They have since discovered that although the data may reside in an EU based data farm, as the parent companies are American, then American data protection laws apply.
Needless to say, the mailing lists have been very interesting ;)

Soldato
Be careful, as being based in the EU doesn't actually mean that the firms comply with EU data protection laws.
Both Google and Microsoft have invested in Irish data farms, that some universities then used to migrate to cloud based services. They have since discovered that although the data may reside in an EU based data farm, as the parent companies are American, then American data protection laws apply.
Needless to say, the mailing lists have been very interesting ;)

I am aware - I've had to do a lot of explaining on the subject to clients. :) I'm pretty sure one of the links I listed is an EU company with all their DC's in the EU but I can't check as both links are blocked from my current location.

Daft question but does it make much of a difference if it operates under EU or US data protection laws?

The US Patriot Act can force US based companies to hand over data stored anywhere in the world! It is currently a big issue.

Last edited:
Soldato
Just googled Dropbox and DPA, someone asked a question about hosting public service patient records on Dropbox and whether it conforms with DPA :eek:

Back
Top Bottom