• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Dropped CPU Temperature 15 °C going from top rad mount to front rad mount with RTX 3080

Associate
Also could have a bad CPU mount to start with.So I always knew having top mount could give a few more °C's on CPU. Disclaimer for that guy blah blah who will rush in and only have bad things to say.

Anyway tossed in RTX 3080 and notice while PC gaming temperature were hitting 80°C in some PC games,where Cinebench20 Multi was only hitting 68°C-70°C. I was puzzled but did not really care. Then I must have fell down and hit my head or something, it dawned on me that I have a top mount on my cheap AIO.

I also have a Nvidia Haf X case that is 10+ years old and no such thing of front mount on that thing. So I ghetto up a bracket and front mount ghetto my 240MM AIO and what ya know ,15 °C difference in the PC game after 15 Minutes and the best part temperatures were in the 50°C -60°C 99% of the time.

So just maybe a hint for some people with higher than normal CPU's temperatures,if you wanna try.Hey might drop a couple °C

My cheap MasterLiquid Lite ML240L RGB AIO

Top Mount

CPU - 78.5°C
Chipset - 56.5°C
GPU - 58°C

Front Mount

CPU - 63.3°C Dropped 15°C
Chipset - 59.5°C Raised 3°C
GPU - 60°C Raised 2°C

Top Mount Temperatures

Front Mount Temperatures

Want a laugh ghetto bracket

Fan setup

Last edited:
Associate
Interesting. I assume that's because when front mounted its taking in cold air from outside and when top mounted its taking in air from the warm case?

Surprised it made that much difference to be honest though. What's the CPU? Is the case significantly warmer since you got 3080?

Associate
Sorry, I see from Screenshot that it is a ryzen 3600. My 3800x doesn't get as hot as your 3600 was and I'm only using the air cooler that came with it!

Associate
OP
3600xt@ 4600Mhz 1.325v but my 3800X was around the same as the front mount @4600Mhz even with RTX 2080 top mount,same crap case. I really only noticed a difference since RTX 3080 when AIO was top mounted. It is only 100watt more but made a difference in PC gaming.

Last edited:
Soldato
3600@ 4600Mhz 1.325v but my 3800X was around the same as the front mount @4600Mhz even with RTX 2080 top mount,same crap case. I really only noticed a difference since RTX 3080 when AIO was top mounted. It is only 100watt more but made a difference in PC gaming.

You're running your 3600 at 4.6 all the time? or is that just the boost clock?

Associate
Interesting. I assume that's because when front mounted its taking in cold air from outside and when top mounted its taking in air from the warm case?

Surprised it made that much difference to be honest though. What's the CPU? Is the case significantly warmer since you got 3080?
This would be my assumption. Cool air supply is key.

Associate
3600@ 4600Mhz 1.325v but my 3800X was around the same as the front mount @4600Mhz even with RTX 2080 top mount,same crap case. I really only noticed a difference since RTX 3080 when AIO was top mounted. It is only 100watt more but made a difference in PC gaming.
Thats an impressive overclock. My 3800x won't overclock at all but, as I said, I am only using stock cooler

Soldato
It looks like you have the rad vertical with barbs higher than the pump. This could degrade your pump in the future as the liquid levels drop, so keep an eye on the temperatures over time and listen out for pump noise.

Associate
OP
You're running your 3600 at 4.6 all the time? or is that just the boost clock?
That 4600Mhz is an all core overclock that is stable. Sometimes I run 4500Mhz all core,sometimes I run with EDC tweak/bug to get 4750Mhz boost.I am flexible

It looks like you have the rad vertical with barbs higher than the pump. This could degrade your pump in the future as the liquid levels drop, so keep an eye on the temperatures over time and listen out for pump noise.
Thanks for the tip,I will keep an eye on it.It is a £25 AIO and I change my CPU all the time,not really worried about it.

You could do with giving your PC a good cleanup too, it looks filthy.
Thanks Ma :D ,it is filthy . You know it is a computer that sits on the floor in a closed case,it is ok to have dust.

Did you notice any change in the GPU temp? I guess that would be the potential trade off, that the GPU gets a little hotter.
Top Mount

CPU - 78.5°C
Chipset - 56.5°C
GPU - 58°C

Front Mount

CPU - 63.3°C Dropped 15°C
Chipset - 59.5°C Raised 3°C
GPU - 60°C Raised 2°C

Associate
I am making a custom computer case that has air from outside directed to each GPU (there's two) and also another direct airpath onto the CPU. Will be interesting to see the temperatures I get. I am not using watercooling or AIO.

Associate
I've been wanting to move my AIO cooler to the front of my case for awhile now.
Sadly i own a Corsair 900D, in my infinite wisdom. I don't know any AIO cooler that could reach from the CPU socket to the front of the case without looking ridiculous.

I have looked into doing a customer water loop, but not that confident in doing so, I also don't really want to drop the extra cash on top of the new CPU upgrade from my 5960x.

Associate
OP
I am making a custom computer case that has air from outside directed to each GPU (there's two) and also another direct airpath onto the CPU. Will be interesting to see the temperatures I get. I am not using watercooling or AIO.
Sweet post pics when finished,I made a computer desk in my wall and never got around to embeding the computer parts into the wall,just left them in a case. Maybe I might finish the job now.

Daaaaaaaum a 4.6 all core on a 3600 is some going. Golden chip :D
No big deal it is a 3600XT 85% of them can do 4600Mhz I bet.

I've been wanting to move my AIO cooler to the front of my case for awhile now.
Sadly i own a Corsair 900D, in my infinite wisdom. I don't know any AIO cooler that could reach from the CPU socket to the front of the case without looking ridiculous.

I have looked into doing a customer water loop, but not that confident in doing so, I also don't really want to drop the extra cash on top of the new CPU upgrade from my 5960x.
Custom water loop is expensive and I always thought aboout it but seems like too much of a hassle for very little results for PC gaming,great if you just do benchmarks all day .

Associate
Sweet post pics when finished,I made a computer desk in my wall and never got around to embeding the computer parts into the wall,just left them in a case. Maybe I might finish the job now.
Thats exactly what I am doing. Building computer into desk as a fake wall that contains the computer. Will probably post photos when done.

Soldato
I have always been prescribed to the orthodoxy of front mounting the rads.

however with that said it is a bigger temp drop than I expect tbh.

Was your intake fan sucking sufficient air in while the rad is at the top? Jus curious if there is some kind of negative pressure around cpu zone that’s causing insufficient amount of air going into the top mounted rad which can cause performance drop. Basically if you have lots of exhaust - PSU, Rad, GPU, the little fan at the back, all sucking air out of the case and the only intake is the front two and if you have them all running at the same speed then the exhaust fans will have significant drop in performance due to vacuum inside the case and so they don’t work as well at the same rating.

anyhow it is always safer to run front mount in my opinion as it is where the air comes in so you know your loop is being cooled.

Back
Top Bottom