Dropping companies in the **** w.r.t. work

Caporegime
If your boss is a decent enough person, he will realise that its the best move for you and support you as a friend rather than a boss. At the end of the day, its not his company.

Suspended
Rightio,

Managed to get my self into a situation where I will probably end up dropping my current company in the crap with regards to work.

I left a company to move back to newcastle for a now ex girlfriend and took a job on lower pay but still for a very large with good prospects to move up, but the promise of the type of work I was doing wasn't met and for the past year I have been doing FEA/Downstream Work, which has given me some good experience but its boring.

However I have now been asked by my old company to come and work for them (back in aberdeen) doing heavy lift and deep water engineers (heavy lift >7000tonnes) and deep water think Gulf/Africa/Caspian aswell as deepwater pipelines which is a lot more interesting and opens me up to a lot of travel and better engineering jobs for when I go for my chartership in the next couple of years.

The problem comes is that in this office I work in a small team where we all get along (most of the time) and my boss is a really nice guy, but in the next few weeks he has lost a senior engineer (retirement) a trainee foundation uni person (operation on knee - 2months out) which leaves me, a naval arch and a technical director, I've had worries about this for a while and the new offer is perfect but how would you feel about dropping someone who has been a good boss to you in the crap because he will lose his engineers (and hasn't tried recruiting anyone to replace the retiring senior engineer either).

Sorry for the long bit, I know what my answer is, get out its work and you have to do whats right for you but doesn't make it any easier when i'm going to hand in my notice next week.

KaHn

This is easy from my perspective - Go for it!

Your boss sounds like a great guy, ask for a private one to one and explain the situation to him. Explain that you aren't trying to get a salary hike, you are genuinely interested in the type of work offered by the new position and offer to stay to hand over to your replacement. Burn no bridges.

You only live one life mate, do not make the mistake of being unhappy, either professionally or personally, for the sake of someone else.

Have no regrets.

GL :)

Soldato
Do what is right for you, you've had a good time and explain to your boss.

I love to see people with a good conscious these days but got to do what's best for yourself. :)

All the best to you Kahn.

Soldato
OP
Would need to be a grad with 4+yrs of experience, and not sounding big headed but it would need to be someone whos had top level experience from good companies, not small engineering jobs.

They have been trying to recruit for all the time I have been there and generally unsuccesfully, or they hire the wrong type of people.

Lets see what wednesday brings as I have 2 days off this week.

KaHn

Soldato
OP
Bit of an update, handed notice in yesterday, boss was ok about it aslong as i finish some work I am doing but my start date for the new job is the 26th July :)

Haven't told them where I am going yet tho.

KaHn

Soldato
Bit of an update, handed notice in yesterday, boss was ok about it aslong as i finish some work I am doing but my start date for the new job is the 26th July :)

KaHn

Good it's all working for you. Good luck in your old job :)

Associate

KaHn

Good luck in your future job, and with regards to telling them where you'll be working next, they don't need to know that :p.

Back
Top Bottom