Drove just under 400 miles to meet my new mate "Dave"

DRZ

DRZ

Soldato
Running one with the manifold removed is something your ears wont forgive you for in a hurry.

Tinkering with them is great fun, as is starting them with the "flaming rag" method.

The joys of oddballs and boat ownership :D

Soldato
He's going to run the engine to power and alternater/dynamo to produce electricity for his house so he doesn't have to use convetioanl electric like eveyone else ! it will run of off vegetable oil which he gets free. he also uses the oil to make biodiesel which he uses to run his care so basically he is a lot better off than any of us in terms of money income and spendage.

So basically say he gets paid £1000 a month after tax.....

He won't have to pay any electricity bills
He won't have to pay for diesel in his car

So technically he won't have to pay any bills at all except rent or whatever if he needs to..... so he should have £1000 to spend on food, pr0n and whatever else takes his fancy.

Now a normal person :)

for arguments sake gets paid the same £1000 after tax !

He has to pay electricity
He has to pay for diesel

so he pays say £100 a month electricity bill
And £150 car fuel

so know he has £750 to use to pay rent, pr0n or whatever takes his fancy !

so he's saving a ****load more than any of us :D

Its a get rich quick scheme but it doesn't work so quick ;) :p

My boss has a couple of lister engines rigged up to dynamo's that he used to use to power his caravan back in the day ( i work for a traveliing showman...Fairground basically) We Ran one in his yard at night once it was like 300ft away and we could here it clean as day ! i take it your gonna make the tank bigger or something otherwise you'll be popping home from work half way through the day to top it up right ? :D

Last edited:
Soldato
MadMan-JaMeS said:
He's going to run the engine to power and alternater/dynamo to produce electricity for his house so he doesn't have to use convetioanl electric like eveyone else ! it will run of off vegetable oil which he gets free. he also uses the oil to make biodiesel which he uses to run his care so basically he is a lot better off than any of us in terms of money income and spendage.

So basically say he gets paid £1000 a month after tax.....

He won't have to pay any electricity bills
He won't have to pay for diesel in his car

So technically he won't have to pay any bills at all except rent or whatever if he needs to..... so he should have £1000 to spend on food, pr0n and whatever else takes his fancy.

Now a normal person :)

for arguments sake gets paid the same £1000 after tax !

He has to pay electricity
He has to pay for diesel

so he pays say £100 a month electricity bill
And £150 car fuel

so know he has £750 to use to pay rent, pr0n or whatever takes his fancy !

so he's saving a ****load more than any of us :D

Its a get rich quick scheme but it doesn't work so quick ;) :p

My boss has a couple of lister engines rigged up to dynamo's that he used to use to power his caravan back in the day ( i work for a traveliing showman...Fairground basically) We Ran one in his yard at night once it was like 300ft away and we could here it clean as day ! i take it your gonna make the tank bigger or something otherwise you'll be popping home from work half way through the day to top it up right ? :D

so why do they call you madman? :)

Soldato
Treefrog said:
Everything except the electric shower hopefully. A bank of batteries and invertors for times of heavy demand, the genny recharging the batteries when the demand is low.

See here for details.

the invertors was for at night to run the firdge and freezer and whatever else ;)

Edit: Not surey they call me madman :)

Soldato
not nessacerily if it has a good silencer on it the the exhaust will be pretty quite and he is going to have it in his shed so he is going to soundproof that some how so it shouldn't be that loud at all really.

Soldato
OP
^^ oh do give up, every thread that get's a mention of biofuels somebody hints that i may be running without paying fuel duty.

WRONG! i'm a registered fuel producer with HMR&C, they get their pound of flesh out of me every month without fail.

Besides which, i don't have to pay duty on the fuel that goes into the stationary engine.

Soldato
that sound's like a bargain to me. Are you actually off grid already or just prepping for it?

I used to drive a motor launch with one of those lister diesels in it, it would do a 12 hour day 7 days a week without a problem. A water cooled exaust is a good idea and helps to quieten down the engine I think

HT

Soldato
hehehe you've got it all sussed ain't you....

actually i admire you for actually doing this.......its quite interesting will be nice in a few months after you've had it running and everything with every other money saving thing your'e doing to know what percentage of your monthly income you spend on heating fuel or anything else :)

Soldato
OP
Yup, and dozens of kw of heat energy to boot, heating for free and virtually all my leccy covered too. I'm REALLY looking forward to damp free heating!

edit, and the savings on my utility bills can go towards a bigger engine (but don't tell the wife ;))

Last edited:
Soldato
This wouldn't be working out so cheap if you had to pay for the veg oil you get. :) . Where do you live btw, did you consider the amount of noise this will make? And what people around you might think.

Back
Top Bottom