Drum n Bass

Associate
I must disagree with Big Chris about the Pendulum album.

It is an incredible album IMHO, and the songs are stunning all in their own right. Yes, a lot of D&B songs are best heard mixed in a live DJ setting, but the tracks on Hold Your Colour do not need to be mixed with anything else to sound as good as they do.

I don't normally gush about any particular album quite so much, but I must take exception to this one. Buy it - you will not regret it.

PS. I didn't think too much of Andy C's Nightlife (first one)... mostly sounds way too one dimensional because I don't think the individual tracks have enough content to be heard one by one.

Associate
Also, get Dieselboy - Dungeonmaster's Guide for some truly inspired stuff toward the techier/trancier end of the spectrum. It's my favourite mix album, and for good reason! :)

Soldato
jhmaeng said:
I must disagree with Big Chris about the Pendulum album.

It is an incredible album IMHO, and the songs are stunning all in their own right. Yes, a lot of D&B songs are best heard mixed in a live DJ setting, but the tracks on Hold Your Colour do not need to be mixed with anything else to sound as good as they do.

I don't normally gush about any particular album quite so much, but I must take exception to this one. Buy it - you will not regret it.
I've heard most of the tracks off it used by them or other DJs in live sets and they sound a lot better when mixed than just played on their own. Your description of Andy C's Nightlife is quite fitting here, they sound one dimensional when played one after another on the album.

Associate
Can't believe no one has mentioned Chopper (or the helicopter tune as it's also known)! The first DnB tune I ever owned :rolleyes:

If you're after new school DnB then I have two tracks I highly recommend:

Chase n Status - Duppy Man
Mickey Finn & Aphrodite - Bad Ass (Dope Ammo Remix)

If that tiggles ya fancy then give us a shout and i'll real off a few more

CoXeY

Soldato
CoXeY said:
Can't believe no one has mentioned Chopper (or the helicopter tune as it's also known)! The first DnB tune I ever owned :rolleyes:
The OP asked for the names of DJs, not tracks.
CoXeY said:
If you're after new school DnB... Mickey Finn & Aphrodite - Bad Ass (Dope Ammo Remix)
Good tune yeah, but hardly new; it's kinda dated now ('97 was it?).

Associate
Listening to an Andy C set live is a must :D I used to go to the Fabriclive most Fridays and also Ram Party @ The End for a while, but stopped because it caused too much disruption to my schedules. One thing that annoyed me was that Andy C is invariably scheduled to DJ from 3am or 4am onwards, I guess in order to keep the clubbers glued right until closing time. That meant getting out at 5am or 6am... not fun :/

Either way, my personal favourite D&B DJ is Andy C because he seems to focus much more on giving what people want and letting them have a good time, rather than trying too hard to "do their own thing" and end up just confusing people. Plus he's very talented to begin with, of course :)

The D&B Arena has really good recordings of past events (less of the recent stuff but plenty around 2002-2003) which is a decent substitute for actually being at the venue.

Soldato
pendulum blow

Listen to some Hype / Andy C / Mampi / Dillinja / Dylan / Tech Itch / Noisia / Teebee / Loxy / Friction the list can go on and on i love DnB fantastic and under rated. The producing in some of the tracks is just phenonamal (sp)

If u want a good night out u gotta goto a "Valve" night went other week was out of this world! Never missed one when its in my local town.

Also listen to http://radio.tbfh.org:8008/listen.pls great show and www.pyrotechnicradio.com has some great djs on there big names!

Check out www.breakbeat.co.uk great site :D

Soldato
Ive seen them play loads of times and before all the hype never liked em, last set i seem them play at valve was rubbish :p Much better people out there then pendulum :p

Soldato
Going to Breakin Science on Saturday , should ge good, Valve system too :D

Also Fresh's album launch at the day before at Fabric
smashed.gif

Sic

Sic

Soldato
Spud21 said:
Lol. I love you :D

;)

R5Rich said:
Ive seen them play loads of times and before all the hype never liked em, last set i seem them play at valve was rubbish :p Much better people out there then pendulum

awesome, you took it in jest! i think we have a forum first!!

Associate
Fabio and grooverider (virtually the godfathers of DnB) are up in newcastle in like 2 weeks time for the next Turbulence, al be there mixing it up on the dancefloor.

Associate
Anybody here appreciate the Fanu sound? Someone with real ability when programming drums and concocting soundscapes and big round bass. His sound is what I love about drum and bass, Pendulum is everything I dislike :)

Check out Fanu's website www.fanusamurai.com and in the mixes section, his All Fanu vol.2 mix is one of my favourite all time listens (in this vein of music.)

Likes (check these)
Dom & Roland
Fanu
Calyx
London Elektricity
Cyantific
Also StixxUK seems to have good taste

Not Liked (just so you know whether or not to trust my opinion)
Umm, stuff like B@Th*nG's recommendations. No offence intended, just not my taste :)

Back
Top Bottom