DSL Router with VPN Capability (Replace DSL-AC52U)

Soldato
Soldato
HI all

I am after a new router to replace a DSL-AC52U in a small business. There are around 6 PCs plus a handful of mobile devices running on it. It is used with BT business and requires ADSL

Key features required are decent security (firewall etc), some good range WiFi would be nice and also it must support OpenVPN. I guess in this circumstance I am locked into Asus Routers?

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Soldato
Draytek 2862ac; loads of features, support OpenVPN (with firmware v3.9.0+) and they're solid SMB routers that'll just chug along.
But worth mentioning the WebGUI isn't pretty but full of functionality (CLI is available if need be) and isn't too difficult once you get your head around where options are; WiFi range is better than past Draytek's and will happily cover a small/medium office but don't expect hundreds of metres through walls type range/performance; be aware of the many variations there are in Draytek models, ie - the 2862 is also available with standalone (no WiFi)/WiFi 'n'/WiFi AC/VOIP etc etc

Edit - Look at the 2927 if you don't need a modem.

Soldato
Soldato
OP
Draytek 2862ac; loads of features, support OpenVPN (with firmware v3.9.0+) and they're solid SMB routers that'll just chug along.
But worth mentioning the WebGUI isn't pretty but full of functionality (CLI is available if need be) and isn't too difficult once you get your head around where options are; WiFi range is better than past Draytek's and will happily cover a small/medium office but don't expect hundreds of metres through walls type range/performance; be aware of the many variations there are in Draytek models, ie - the 2862 is also available with standalone (no WiFi)/WiFi 'n'/WiFi AC/VOIP etc etc

Edit - Look at the 2927 if you don't need a modem.
Looks a bit pricey for us, anything more budget up to around ~£150?

Soldato
Buying domestic routers for business use is a false economy IMO.

For SME use, a wires only Draytek and one or two access points (UniFi?) is going to give you a solid and reliable solution that'll last years.

My wires only 2920 is still going strong after almost 10 years. I'll need to replace it if/when I get a broadband connection faster than what VDSL offers, but until then it's still completely viable.

If my connection is down I know it's BT's fault. I can't remember ever having a router-based connection problem.

Having the wireless separate means that it doesn't matter where the router is located. This has been more important for various customers where the router sits inside a big metal server rack.

Back
Top Bottom