dSLR? Why bother

Associate
Its down to the situations your in/that are available to you. Given the oppertunity anyone could go to Iraq/Iran/Afgan and what not and bring back the same results. Doesnt have anything to do with the equipment you use. Its all in the situations.

Just my opinion.

King.

Soldato
Something just hit me. Strictly speaking DSLR's are rubbish compared to Medium Format. If you're looking to get decent prints why not switch to that? You can get a nice Yashica Mat medium format camera for £60. People have to remember that photography existed long before the Canon DSLR range. The greatest photographers that set the standards used Leicas and other such cameras.

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
cyKey said:
Something just hit me. Strictly speaking DSLR's are rubbish compared to Medium Format. If you're looking to get decent prints why not switch to that? You can get a nice Yashica Mat medium format camera for £60. People have to remember that photography existed long before the Canon DSLR range. The greatest photographers that set the standards used Leicas and other such cameras.

Ever tried doing sport photography with medium or large format?

I do get the point of this thread, you don't need a good camera to take good picture. It just helps.

Also certain types of photography are more dependant on the camera than others, sport photography comes to mind.

Soldato
xolotl said:
Ever tried doing sport photography with medium or large format?

I wasn't directly implying sports with medium format. I did mention in a previous post this;

I'd never recommend a compact to an aspiring sports photographer, but for someone wanting to be an artist sure.

I've been talking about artistic photography, not sports.

dod

dod

Soldato
Wellllllll, let's take it a stage further, why bother with the camera at all? After all, art (and a photograph through your choice of lens/settings) is a recording of your interpretation of the scene in front of you. Why not go back and use charcoal, crayons, pens etc. You've still got a "print".

Art's a funny beast. How many would pay "from $2000" for some of the shots in this link?. Have a look through some of the other stuff as well, particularly the Jill Greenberg stuff, it's caused a huge controversy amongst the arty types.

http://www.paulkopeikingallery.com/artists/fitts/exhibitions/lifeguard/index.htm

or a minimum $1500 for some of these :confused:
http://www.paulkopeikingallery.com/artists/milstein/index.htm

Back
Top Bottom