• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Dual 256mb 8600GTS or single 640mb 8800GTS?

Soldato
I would get the single 8800GTS. It will perform better than the two 8600GTS's. And many games aren't SLi supported, so the single will be even better in those cases.

Depends what res you're running it at. I think the general concensus is 1440x and above you want the 640MB version, personally I think that's the winner irrespective. Chances are you'll upgrade monitor at some point if not already and it'd be a pain to have to buy another card at the same time.

Plus it's not a massive price hike from 320mb to 640mb when you're spending that kinda cash on a single component anyway. :)

Man of Honour
I've said it before and I'll say it again, multi-gpu is normally only worthwhile if you are loaded and can buy two top end cards, or possibly as an upgrade path in the future (adding a cheap secondhand card if you are having trouble selling your existing one).

Sure, in a few games you can save a bit by getting 2 cheapy cards in SLI but you are far too dependent on game/profile support, and then you've got the hassle of unreliable drivers, power consumption, heat production, taking up more slots etc etc. Good for 3dmark but lot a lot else.

When buying new I would never buy two cards at once unless it was 2x GTX or something like that.

Back
Top Bottom