• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

dual core Intel have now become very affordable!

Caporegime
in that price range the Asus P5ND2-SLI nForce 4 Skt 775 springs to mind.Have seen a ECS 945P-A Motherboard Skt 775 945P Duall PCI-E x16 1066FSB DDR2 dual channel SATA2 6 ch. audio LAN ATX for £58 and the voltage options look ok.But don't have much knowledge of the make tbh.

edit: still if you could get 3.4ghz out of the two would offer fantastic dual core value for £158 :)

Soldato
I was avoiding nforce 4 tbh, they arent exactly great on the 775 socket. At least from what I have heard their clocking abilities are pretty lacklustre, I also saw the ECS, they are a budget brand normally so I dont know how well they would fair when it comes to overclocking...
The cpu itself is very cheap but finding a motherboard will be a problem :/

Caporegime
Raikiri said:
I was avoiding nforce 4 tbh, they arent exactly great on the 775 socket. At least from what I have heard their clocking abilities are pretty lacklustre, I also saw the ECS, they are a budget brand normally so I dont know how well they would fair when it comes to overclocking...
The cpu itself is very cheap but finding a motherboard will be a problem :/

yeah I agree just couldn't see a mobo in that price range.

For a budget system to get the most from that cpu you need a more featured board.Costing more money.

And if that being the case i think it would be best to get a presler instead for the extra.

Associate
274mhz is pretty good, you have to remember with a multi of 20, just raising it to 200mhz will give a 4 ghz speed, I dont know what the nforce intel boards are like, wasnt there some bad reports going around.

Caporegime
Agr3sive said:
274mhz is pretty good, you have to remember with a multi of 20, just raising it to 200mhz will give a 4 ghz speed, I dont know what the nforce intel boards are like, wasnt there some bad reports going around.

I heard stability issues and stuff but that was on their release.TBH theres something wierd about NF4 on an intel rig

Associate
Im just going to wait for the 975X, there is talk that they can include instuctions in the northbridge to run either sli or crossfire on the 2 pci-express slots, pair that with a 920/930 and that will be a nice rig.

Mul

Mul

Associate
^^ 805 + P5ND2 is likely to be a problem imo.
1.375V max on the Asrock? Wasn't the stock core voltage for some of the LGA775's 1.4V though? :confused:

Reckon these chips will clock well at all with a max core voltage of 1.375, or 1.35 keeping in mind the usual slight undervolt?

Mul

Agr3sive said:
Im just going to wait for the 975X, there is talk that they can include instuctions in the northbridge to run either sli or crossfire on the 2 pci-express slots, pair that with a 920/930 and that will be a nice rig.

I thought the 975X did support crossfire or do you mean support both, I waiting to get my hands on a intel desktop D975XBX m/b, seems like it has some good o/c features on it too.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Agr3sive said:

I think the point here is to get a 99 quid dual core intel and overclock the pants off it for little outlay :p

not getting a top notch 975 mobo.

If there was a mobo for 50 quid out there that had enough vcore options then I would buy one of the 805 now.

But it seems there isn't unfortunately :(

Associate
To be honest the cheapest board is going to be around 75quid, its either going to have to be NF4 SLI chipset or one based on the 945, any cheaper than that and it would have to be 2nd-hand or flea-bay.

Edit, just found a foxconn 945 board thats only 57quid

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom