• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

dual core Intel have now become very affordable!

Associate
So yea, these new options are very low in price, seems a lot of you are un-aware also that you can run these in the Asus P5P800SE (£42) 865PE motherboard.

DDR1/AGP also, making it a very cheap dual core system.

As for overclocking, I think 3.8 has been most common.

A few achieving more, and vice versa.

Bear in mind that's a large overclock for a 2.66 at stock.

Mul

Mul

Associate
P5P800's take dual core? O.o

Afaik they only took up to the single core 65nm Ceder Mills.

edit: infact you are correct. According to Asus' site, the P5P800SE takes Pentium D's.

Mul

Last edited:
AWPC said:
You can already get 975X mobos

You can but I only ever have gen intel m/b's and the currunt latest intel desktop D975XBX m/b does not support the conroe, apparently tho there is a new rivised version of the board that is coming out that does, the main reason why I love this baord is b-cos it has 3xPCI-E slots which = uber 6 screen setup, I'm also thinking if this board ever becomes sli compatible then it may be possible to run extra screens while sli is enabled by installing a another pci-e gfx card in the 3rd pci-e slot and running 2 extra screens from there, I'm hoping it might work as it will enable you to have a full multiscreen setup with sli enabled.

and now thanks to a leaked unofficial Nvidia patch SLI will also work on them as well as native xfire support (955X also has native xfire support).

According to the links it doe not support intel chipsets at the moment although they do say that they are working on one so thanks for the heads up i'll keep a close eye on their progress.

Associate
Do you think a P5P800SE and a Pentium D, plus 1gb and a 9800pro would be enough to run Source engine games CS:S, DOD:S etc and RO:Ostfront at 1024x768 with max texture details etc or would the 9800 still be the weak point?

Soldato
The Asus P5VD1-X is around £50 and looks good value Has agp and pcie not sure how good it is for overclocking.

Associate
you can used 865 for dual core so :D

btw guys - can you adjust the multi in bios downwards? - ie set your own custom settings like 13x200 rather than 20x133?

Last edited:

Mul

Mul

Associate
I'm considering plumping for one of these for my server. It does mean I'll need a decent PSU now, and an ATX case instead of the current mATX.

Will the Pentium D run so hot that, I'd have to put up with a noisy server?

Mul

Associate
a good *quiet* psu would be a good idea

you can get matx boards so theres no need for a new case

tbh just use soemthing like a big t or a freezer 7 with 2 x 120 ambers and it will run cool and quiet enough

Associate
btw fc-pja - i play cs source with a 9800pro - can easily run it at that - especially with a well clocked cpu (i get same fps at 640x480 low as i do 1024x768 high because i use a 2.8 celeron lol)

i was gonna go with the asrock - but no vocre makes me cry so im going with a p5p800se - thety can be had for 50 quid new so not much difference in price, and these can actually clock lol

MAKE SHURE YOU GET THE SE VERSION THE NON SE DOESNT SUPPORT DUAL CORE

Last edited:
Associate
Anyone getting one of these, can you post back some results of how the board handles the dual core, particularly interested in whether it can handle the power of running a clocked dual core.

Ty

Associate
Super Tigers said:
Pentium d805 90mn process 2x1mb cache 2.67ghz, 533mhz fsb and retail boxed with 3 years warranty are now on sale for £95inc vat. Pretty good price for a cpu that clocks upto 3.8-4.0ghz on stock cooling. Looks like this may tempt a few clockers back over to the dark side.

If I didn't have a skt 754 amd 3000+ that o/c to 2.7ghz I would be in the market for one of these.

Rob H

Hate to be rude mate but are these for sale on the overclockers website ? As i looked in the intel cpu section and could not see them at that price.

I may be looking to buy one on wednesday as they would be an ideal stop gap before i spend big money on a full pc upgrade for windows vista.

Associate
m3csl2004 said:
im pretty shure ocuk dont stock these as of yet (hint hint tell them to in there product sugestion box)

Well for that price it a real deal but if i cannot find them on overclockers i will have to spend my money elsewhere.

Would this cpu ok to fit inside a shuttle ?

Associate
m3csl2004 said:
btw fc-pja - i play cs source with a 9800pro - can easily run it at that - especially with a well clocked cpu (i get same fps at 640x480 low as i do 1024x768 high because i use a 2.8 celeron lol)

i was gonna go with the asrock - but no vocre makes me cry so im going with a p5p800se - thety can be had for 50 quid new so not much difference in price, and these can actually clock lol

MAKE SHURE YOU GET THE SE VERSION THE NON SE DOESNT SUPPORT DUAL CORE

Thanks for the reply :)

Do you have all the settings on high when you play at 1024? Getting above 60fps?

If you are then that celeron is a far better chip than my p.o.s 2.4 northwood :/

Associate
which northwood is it? and what are you running it at.

List components/settings, and we can go from there.

a NW should outperform a celly unless its a highly clocked 65nm

Associate
2 things

1) i dont, theres no need to list compnents - id dont get 60 ever - the celeron is just to slow

2) this is for another thread :)

ive been looking at asrocks offerings - theres a 945pl crossfire board which even supports presslers, but again no voltage control and it clocks like a dog apparently so :( - its a brilliant board otherwise though

i honestly think the best option for a cheap dc set up is 1 of these with a p5p800se

how bad is nf4 on intel? - surely it will clock a bit right? - dont care about sli or anything (will it even support this cpu? like the 820?)

Back
Top Bottom