1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dual core or not?

Discussion in 'CPUs' started by chameleon, 5 Feb 2006.

1. chameleon

Hitman

I'm toying with my next upgrade, might go the whole hog this time and retire my old XP Barton. Is it worth getting a dual core processor at the moment? Or should I just get a nice fast single core? If so, which one?

Oops, sorry wrong forum.

2. INFECTION

Hitman

erm not too good on AMD but if you wonna go all out and not have to upgrade for a while i would deffinatly go dual core but depends on your budet to what you get.

3. lee87

Mobster

What do you use the pc for?

If gaming I would get a dual core cpu, I recently upgraded from a athlonXP 3000+ barton to a athlon X2 3800+.
    In the counter strike source stress test the fps increased from 82fps to 157fps. This has nearly doubled the speed, I got the asrock dual board so I could keep my agp card and have the option to upgrade to pci-e.
    I have noticed a big improvement in other games as well.

A lot of games will be made to work better with dual core in the future so i'd get a X2.

4. BigDom

Wise Guy

With Future in mind X2 is the way to go although few current games use it so the benefit isn't so much ( a 3800+ plays roughtly like a 3200-3500+ on current games) until things start to support multiples.

5. clv101

Capodecina

The Athlon X2 3800+ is very solid CPU to build a system around today - it's not stupidly expensive and should remain fast enough for new games for several years to come, power consumption is also pretty low. I wouldn't buy single core CPU today.

6. Larok

Gangster

I would go single core and upgrade when a game comes along that you want to play whith supports them. There might by multicores around by then! You would have saved at least £100 initially which would sweeten the purchase of a multi core later, (along with any resale of your say 3700 amd).

7. Mrchu_

Hitman

single cores are soo cheap these days,get on of those,as they perform well if over 2.5/6. As is said not enough games and apps to thrash out a dual core+ they will continue to drop rapidly.

Speaking from experiance here after moving from an opty 146 that did 2.8 and could game at 3