• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Dual, Dual or Dual Dual???

Associate
Hello

So, I've been thinking about getting a new graphics card or 2.
What exactly are the advantages and disadvantages of these 3 different configurations:

ATI Radeon HD 4870 X2

or

2x ATI Radeon HD 4870's (with crossfire)

or

2x ATI Radeon HD 4870 X2 (with crossfire)

I'd guess the 3rd option would be the best, but are there any disadvantages of this dual dual type setup?

Any answers are much appreciated,
Thanks

Associate
I'd guess the 3rd option would be the best, but are there any disadvantages of this dual dual type setup?
Power consumption
Noise
Poor scaling (compared to x2 or x3)
Expensive
Heat

It will be an amazingly fast PC though, and Crysis will be playable on maximum settings and AA, which is nice.

Associate
Hello

So, I've been thinking about getting a new graphics card or 2.
What exactly are the advantages and disadvantages of these 3 different configurations:

ATI Radeon HD 4870 X2

or

2x ATI Radeon HD 4870's (with crossfire)

or

2x ATI Radeon HD 4870 X2 (with crossfire)

Any answers are much appreciated,
Thanks

Would 2x 4780 x2 work on a 32bit pc? They both have 2GB of ram each, so how would all of this be adressed?
You might be forced to use an x64 OS

Associate
The amount of memory XP32 loses is not a straight calculation of gfx card memory +250mb.

Aparently its possible to get 3.75gb out of it with a 1gb gfx card, if you turn off everything but the kitchen sink in the bios.

Back
Top Bottom