1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dual PSU's and wiring

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by LeperousDust, 6 Feb 2006.

1. LeperousDust

Soldato

I've just slapped together a PC for backing up, and acting as central storage space. But i've got a cheap power supply running it and it doesn't have enough molex connectors to plug all my 5 hard drives and DVDrom in nor is it probably capable of powering them all if i could plug them in. Rather than buy an expensive power supply. I have another cheapish 300watt thing lying around here. Can i wire this up to run just the hard drives?

I know if i short the earth and -ve out i kick start the power supply, but am i ok doing this while have the hard drives plugged in (im scared because theyre expensive - 400GB seagates).

Is it also possible to wire it in such a way that when i press the power button on the computer it starts both power supplies?

2. MarkLP

Mobster

I would buy a good psu then, i did the same as you, thinking a cheap psu would be fine, I only lost a 80gb drive.

3. LeperousDust

Soldato

You have a decent point, and i will do in time, i just want this to tide me over. I'll be running the power supplies at less than half capactiy so chances of them failing it low to zero. Surely 5 hard drives isn't going to overload a power supply on it own :p?

I couldn't care if the rest of the PC went, its all cheap stuff thrown together.

4. Bobbler

Mobster

Hard drives are roughly 20 - 25 watts each draw on the PSU...depends what else you have in there.

OCUK used to sell a device for coupling two PSUs together, but due to the diabolical search on the shop site I cant find it.

5. LeperousDust

Soldato

I just had a look in all the places i think it could be in cant find anything either =/

Searching around though i've found this, and it looks as simply as i thought it would be :). Just a matter of connected the earths and -ves in parallel. But i didnt realise i had to short two other cables on the "piggy backing" PSU.

http://www.bp6.com/images/psu2.gif

Gonna do a little bit more research before i start wiring stuff together though.

6. Phemo

Soldato

I got a simple adapter with my Coolermaster Stacker case. The secondary PSU simply plugs into an ATX socket, which then has two wires coming out - one from the green wire and one from a ground. This then goes to an ATX pass-through connector which then sits between the mobo and the PSU ATX connectors and joins the green/black from the 2nd power supply onto it.

That way, both power supplies come on at the same time.

7. LeperousDust

Soldato

Excellent, thats what i thought i had to do, i was just worried electricity might start going where i dont want it to, or where its not meant to and blow something! :p.

8. LeperousDust

Soldato

Just to update, i've got it all working and its been completely stable over the last 24 hours. I doubt i'll be buying a better PSU as both of these are probably only half loaded.

old seemingly pretty reliable 300w running:
    1 x 40gb old HDD
    1 x Rarely used optical drive
    3 x 80mm fans

new 300w running:
    The actually PC, motherboard, CPU etc...
    and 4 x 400GB hard drives.

I can't see either of them really maxing out 200w if im honest, although my processor is a 2.8Ghz P4c and that could theoretically peak at about 80ishw. Still that leaves 120w for 4 hard drives and nout all else really.

If something dies and everything goes **** up suddenly, i will update and make you all aware :D.