• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

DUD 5870?

Associate
OP
If you notice your card is idling at 400/1200 which is higher than a 5870 normally idles, I'm guessing you have multiple monitors enabled?

Same issue was reported here and here it's intended that it uses more power per connected display as far as I know.

This post has answered it for me thanks superb find.

With dual monitors my GPU Core Clock was never budging from 800 or the memory Clock from 1200. I removed one of my monitors and retstarted the machine and now I have idle speeds of Core Clock 157 and memory clock of 300.

Temps are falling will leave it idle for an hour and see what temps settle at.

Associate
OP
OK let it for about 10 minutes now and its going down :)

8r5.png

So conclusion...if you use multi monitors you will have a lot higher temps :)

Soldato
That's interesting? so why does multi-monitor use break Power-Play ? :confused:

hopefully that's a driver bug! :)

This has always been the case with PowerPlay. To change memory speeds you do it within a VBLANK of the panel, but to do that with two panels is difficult as the panels can be timed differently and hence you'll see flickering on at least one when the speed changes.

Caporegime
Pleased I saw this thread. So with three monitors, I'm not going to get low power?

Definitely going to wait on Nvidia now before upgrading.

it doesn't go into its LOWEST power mode, 400Mhz is low power.

The fact is its to stop people complaining about an almost non existant flicker, that will happen once, for a split second as the memory speed changes.

Its pretty simple, save 2 default profiles with different names, idle, full speed, go into the folder that has them and adjust the speeds at various powerplay numbers, voltage and mem speeds you want and save. Now all you do is right click the ATI logo in the system tray and one more click for a profile and you're done, enable full speed before you go into a game, enable lowest power mode when idle.

its the way to go anyway as various games which might not load the gpu significantly can switch speeds on you, very frequently windowed games won't go into full 3d speed, so simply saving a profile with all 3 powerplay modes at the same speed saves you a lot of hassel.

Nvidia have many/most of the same issues.

Associate
The fact is its to stop people complaining about an almost non existant flicker, that will happen once, for a split second as the memory speed changes.
Yeah, I think an option somewhere to allow that would be nice, as I could tolerate the flicker, as long as I knew I had control over it! :)

Its pretty simple, save 2 default profiles with different names, idle, full speed, go into the folder that has them and adjust the speeds at various powerplay numbers, voltage and mem speeds you want and save. Now all you do is right click the ATI logo in the system tray and one more click for a profile and you're done, enable full speed before you go into a game, enable lowest power mode when idle.

its the way to go anyway as various games which might not load the gpu significantly can switch speeds on you, very frequently windowed games won't go into full 3d speed, so simply saving a profile with all 3 powerplay modes at the same speed saves you a lot of hassel.
Thanks. So I can set a profile for the lowest possible speed/voltage and force the thing to use as little power as I want?

I don't mind switching profiles before I launch a game; most of my use is non-gaming, so noise & power usage (cost + heat) are my main concerns.

Back
Top Bottom