1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dues Ex on Windows XP?

Discussion in 'PC Games' started by Mr Bulbous, 19 Jan 2006.

1. Mr Bulbous

PermaBanned

Hi.

I've been wanting to start playing this game again for a while now, only got half way through it originally.

Last night I tried multiple times to install on my A64 3200+ laptop running XP Home, used Win 98 compatibility on the set up file (also tried without) and once the game is installed the setup routine needs to decompress some files, it freezes every time I've tried to install and thus the game wont launch :(

I also tried to install on my desktop P4 3.4 machine using XP Pro, same thing as above, the setup freezes at the end while decompressing files.

Can Dues Ex be played on the XP OS? I'm bang up to date with XP updates and drivers on both machines. Really want to play this old classic badly now.

Hope someone can help.

2. Hostile_18

Mobster

I have no probs with Deus Ex on XP. Strange :confused:

3. Mr Bulbous

PermaBanned

Hmmm? wonder if its worth installing in safe mode? but then I wouldent have a CD/DVD drive in safe mode, or would I?

4. Azagoth

PermaBanned

Yeah, it can be played on XP with no problem. I installed it on my XP Home (SP2) machine and it worked just fine straight away. I didn't have to use the compatability wizard at all. Infact the only thing I did was to add the patch, that's all.

5. Hostile_18

Mobster

Could it be a scratch on the cd maybe?

6. Mr Bulbous

PermaBanned

CD is spotless. I'm going to try installing once more without using Win 98 compatibility and use end it all to shut down everything else.

*fingers crossed*

7. Mana

Mobster

check your ram, it might be corrupt and hence stopping the install...

run memtest or sommin

8. Mr Bulbous

PermaBanned

Sorted, gave the CD a wipe (even though it looked clean) and never used Win 98 compatibility this time.

9. Hostile_18

Mobster

Good job, because it would of been a shame to miss out on the best ever PC game :)

10. Mobius 1

Capodecina

11. Mr Bulbous

PermaBanned

Thanks. I was wondering what the most up to date patch was.

12. Azagoth

PermaBanned

Glad to hear you finally got it installed. Now that you have, perhaps you'd like to keep track of this HDTP project for Deus Ex. It's going to add higher-res textures, 256x256 instead of the stock 32x32, and totally re-vamped higher poly models to the game. Looks to be some time away, but it's worth bookmarking to keep an eye on. :)

http://offtopicproductions.com/hdtp/

13. uknorthboy

Gangster

I have no problem :) funny old things PC's dont seem logical at times.

14. Hostile_18

Mobster

That mod seems to be going really slowly unfortunatly. I've been following it for the past year.

15. Azagoth

PermaBanned

Yeah, it does seem to be slow. Let's just hope that they're taking their time in order to quality check and get the best possible performance out of it.

16. Hostile_18

Mobster

I think its a case of motivation. Thats fair enough though given their not being paid for it so its purely in their own interest to do it anyway.

If they do release anything I'll be first in line :D

17. Mobius 1

Capodecina

Hmmm.... my deus ex cd has a massive crack down the middle of it... stupid question, but will it still work??

18. Mr Bulbous

PermaBanned

Doubt it? You should be able to pick up a copy cheap though if it fails?

Thanks again to everyone for helping me get Dues Ex installed, as you can see from my last post I was up until well after 3AM last night playing this classic.

Hope the add-on texture project goes ahead, though having said that I was surprised last night by how fresh the game still looks, especially as it must be around 7 years old now?

Was Dues Ex 2 really as bad as I've read? I'm enjoying this old classic again but already wondering what I'll play once I've finished it.

19. Hostile_18

Mobster

I expect worse lol. But Deus Ex 1 lasts for ages so why go else where? :)

20. HangTime

Man of Honour

DX is only 5.5 years old (less if you go from the date of the most recent patch).

DX2 is better than it is given credit for - not as good as the original, but still a very good game when judged on merit.