Dune (2020) - Denis Villeneuve

Associate
Are they filming anything more than the first book? To be fair I thought the two SciFi Channel series did a pretty reasonable job, although the earlyish CGI looked pretty naff even at the time, but that was fair enough for a TV budget.
I suppose it depends how successful this first two films are.

Caporegime
Are they filming anything more than the first book? To be fair I thought the two SciFi Channel series did a pretty reasonable job, although the earlyish CGI looked pretty naff even at the time, but that was fair enough for a TV budget.

According to the 'Ikipedia it's all based on the first book, with the first film covering roughly the first half of the book.

Soldato
Assuming it does well and the 2nd half gets made, Dune Messiah is pretty short so could be done in one film, ditto for Children of Dune really. Whether Denis would be willing to carry it all on, no idea. The first three books are a trilogy of sorts, then you have God Emperor which I love for it’s meditations as a standalone, but it’s not really something that I can see working as a film... then Heretics and Chapterhouse are their own duet, finishing on a somewhat frustratingly open yet kind of the point note.

I would love the first three to get done though!

Soldato
I'll not lie, the first minute looked a little meh but holy bat-poop the last two minutes just got more and more epic with every second. I've only got a very brief understanding of Dune, mostly from what I've picked up in popular culture having never read the books or seen the movie, but this has me hooked with wanting to know more with every passing second!

Soldato
I watched the trailer and I was really impressed. I thought the casting was particularly impressive, with one exception. I don't like the casting of Timothée Chalamet. He just seems to be too insignificant for the role of Paul Atreides. Paul is supposed to be the result of the breeding programme to breed the Kwisatz Haderach. I just can't imagine that sort of breeding programme producing Chalamet. In the books Atreides is still a boy when he goes to Dune. Chalamet looks like he could portray a "young Paul" but the actor is 24 now so isn't likely to bulk out. He just looks too weedy for me.

For anyone who hasn't read the original book, I highly recommend it. Possibly the greatest piece of sci-fi ever written.

Last edited:
Soldato
I think they'll get him a well fitting, bulky, muscled, armoured stillsuit, or rely on superspeed for bending like reed in the wind.

I've just been thinking about alternatives and I think someone like Ansel Elgort would have been a better choice.

I think a lot of this for me though comes to personal prejudice. I loved the David Lynch movie as a child and felt that Kyle McLachlan did such a good job. I think now I just want someone looking as close to Kyle McLachlan as possible.

Soldato
Paul is 15 or so in the book, he’s meant to be a kid and in the first half of the book he is definitely a boy. There’s a small time jump of a couple of years in the novel, which I assume is where the cut-off point in this film will be placed in which he becomes more of a man. (He’s not ‘meant’ to be the KW either - Jessica was supposed to sire a girl who would be the mother of the KW, but because she fell in love with Leto she gave him the son he wanted and subsequently the BG aren’t sure what he really is)

If this does well and they start planning for the 2nd half of the book to be filmed, there’s a decent amount of time for him to fill out his frame a bit, although really his power comes from his combination of Other Memory, presence and idolisation by the Fremen due to their religious engineering by the BG, not from big muscles.

Soldato
Paul is 15 or so in the book, he’s meant to be a kid and in the first half of the book he is definitely a boy. There’s a small time jump of a couple of years in the novel, which I assume is where the cut-off point in this film will be placed in which he becomes more of a man. (He’s not ‘meant’ to be the KW either - Jessica was supposed to sire a girl who would be the mother of the KW, but because she fell in love with Leto she gave him the son he wanted and subsequently the BG aren’t sure what he really is)

If this does well and they start planning for the 2nd half of the book to be filmed, there’s a decent amount of time for him to fill out his frame a bit, although really his power comes from his combination of Other Memory, presence and idolisation by the Fremen due to their religious engineering by the BG, not from big muscles.

I know that Paul is 15 at the start of the books which is why I thought this actor looked OK for a "young Paul".

Remember as well though that while Paul wasn't supposed to be the Kwisatz Haderach he did turn out to be, just a generation early.

Soldato
Have they not filmed these back to back? Wow that seems like a risk for a planned 2 movie adaption.

No. I would imagine this HAS to do well (not mega-hit but pay for itself and then some) for them to make part II. If they end part I where I think they will, it isn’t a cliffhanger per se but it would be a disaster to me if Denis didn’t get the chance to finish what he started. This is why the trailer is very Hollywood despite Denis’ films being anything but, and also shows plenty of Zendaya who is barely in the film and perhaps even to an extent the casting of Paul, because they’re desperate to attract the younger generation and those two both have been followings. Lovers of the book alone cannot make this movie a hit.

There’s no doubt in my mind it won’t be as slow or arthouse as BR2049, but neither will it be your standard blockbuster, and that’s a good thing.

Soldato
I know that Paul is 15 at the start of the books which is why I thought this actor looked OK for a "young Paul".

Remember as well though that while Paul wasn't supposed to be the Kwisatz Haderach he did turn out to be, just a generation early.

Indeed, although he’s ultimately not got it in him to do what must be down to ensure humanity is led down the Golden Path...

I think a couple of years on Timmy and maybe a few months in the gym would be good enough for part II, although he’ll always have a baby face.

Back
Top Bottom