Dune (2020) - Denis Villeneuve

Caporegime
I think it's gonna be a ton more action focused which tbh suits me if it's good.

Honestly I'm not worried. I'll just be sad that it missed the mark, if it did/does.

So many of my childhood films and culture have been reworked/remilked for cash.

This will be fine. Everything is fine.

7AuR.gif

Soldato
Trailer looks good, casting looks solid, Maclachlan was always just too much of a wet blanket for my tastes.

I have intense dislike for the current fad of 'quirky' covers in trailer scores though. Yuck.

Soldato
I don't like the casting of Timothée Chalamet. He just seems to be too insignificant for the role of Paul Atreides. Paul is supposed to be the result of the breeding programme to breed the Kwisatz Haderach. I just can't imagine that sort of breeding programme producing Chalamet. In the books Atreides is still a boy when he goes to Dune. Chalamet looks like he could portray a "young Paul" but the actor is 24 now so isn't likely to bulk out. He just looks too weedy for me.

In his defence you've got to let him try. After all Kyle MacLachlan was 25 when he made his debut in the same role in the 1984 version & his future in Acting wasn't to be sniffed at.

To add to this, I think Villeneuve made a pretty good job making a sequel to what is my Favourite film (BR2049), I worked in a Cinema during the 1984 version, so I've seen that enough times & it is a guilty pleasure apart from the fact they have not done justice to the Blu-ray, from the one time I've seen the trailer of the new one I think he's been up to the task of bringing his vision of Frank Herberts novel to the silver screen.

Permabanned
I don't like the casting of Timothée Chalamet. He just seems to be too insignificant for the role of Paul Atreides. Paul is supposed to be the result of the breeding programme to breed the Kwisatz Haderach. I just can't imagine that sort of breeding programme producing Chalamet.

My knowledge of the Dune universe is very limited but I understand the Kwisatz Haderach's power as being mental as opposed to some sort of physical behemoth.

Soldato
My knowledge of the Dune universe is very limited but I understand the Kwisatz Haderach's power as being mental as opposed to some sort of physical behemoth.

Yes, the powers of the Kwisatz Haderach are mental, but he is still the result of a breeding programme to create a "super being". His powers come as a result of being this paragon of human breeding. I wouldn't expect someone like Dave Bautista cast in the role. I just feel that Chalamet is too small in the same way as Bautista would be too big.

There isn't a right answer to this, just a personal preference. I think it just stuck out for me personally as I thought all the other casting was so good. I'm only going from the trailer here as well, so the actual film might cause me to change my mind.

Permabanned
Dune (1984) IMDB rating - 6.5
SW Rise of Skywalker IMDB rating - 6.6

Dune is often described as being a 'flawed masterpiece'... I really can't see how it is flawed. Certainly an 8 or 9 out of 10 for me.

Soldato
It’s deeply flawed because it just plays the hero’s journey / saviour teaming up with the noble savages to beat the baddies trope straight... when the central point of the book is a perversion of this trope and quite opposite to this. As Frank Herbert once said, if the book were to have a tag line, it would be “...charismatic leaders ought to have a sign on them: Warning! May Be Dangerous to Your Health.”

Paul is not Luke Skywalker!

Soldato
Dune (1984) IMDB rating - 6.5
SW Rise of Skywalker IMDB rating - 6.6

Dune is often described as being a 'flawed masterpiece'... I really can't see how it is flawed. Certainly an 8 or 9 out of 10 for me.

Have you read the book? The depth, the themes, the characters, the story, the background are so much more. Lynch made a good go of it, but at that time Dune could be considered to be un-filmable, and a lot was cut out and down to put it on the screen. There's some really good stuff there, and a lot that has dated. The actors are pretty much excellent, but it's constrained by the VFX technology available and the running time (hence the constant rumours of the four hour plus rough cut that shown to the crew that no longer exists). The basics are there, but a lot of the subtlety and depth are gone.

Lynch's Dune is like showing someone a glass of water in order to try and describe the ocean.

Last edited:
Associate
Liked the trailer, have only seen the David Lynch version and never really stuck with me.

Its quite possible it will get delayed, theres been a number of similar articles to the below over the last few weeks re Tenet box office takings disappointing, even given where we are.

https://ew.com/movies/tenet-box-office-analysis-movie-theaters-coronavirus/

Tenet has made roughly $200 million worldwide but cost $200 million and needs to make double that to break even. Am sure it will make a lot more come paid streaming..

Soldato
OP
WB are pushing most of their slate back, WW1984 has already been moved and fully expect Dune to be Q2 next year at this rate.

Shame as i'm so eager to see this, even if I have to go in a full biosuit to the cinema :D

Caporegime
Tenet has made roughly $200 million worldwide but cost $200 million and needs to make double that to break even. Am sure it will make a lot more come paid streaming..

Yeah, the only reason to be releasing movies to cinema right now is cash flow and giving struggling cinemas a helping hand. No film is going to be a big box office hit during the pandemic.

Soldato
In his defence you've got to let him try. After all Kyle MacLachlan was 25 when he made his debut in the same role in the 1984 version & his future in Acting wasn't to be sniffed at.

To add to this, I think Villeneuve made a pretty good job making a sequel to what is my Favourite film (BR2049), I worked in a Cinema during the 1984 version, so I've seen that enough times & it is a guilty pleasure apart from the fact they have not done justice to the Blu-ray, from the one time I've seen the trailer of the new one I think he's been up to the task of bringing his vision of Frank Herberts novel to the silver screen.

Kyle Maclachlan was never convincing as Paul, he's just a bit too Dawson's Creek, but that may be partly down to the 80's hair. He never really got past the naive child stage in terms of his performance.

The fear that Jessica feels towards her son in the books is never really communicated well in Lynch's version imo, as he transitions from the naive 15yr old to the super-being.

TLDR; You can't judge Chalamet yet, it'll come down to his performance, how he plays out that change...not an easy part.

Soldato
If anyone else was making this, I would barely bat an eyelid. But because it's Denis Villeneuve (IMO the best filmmaker working today) I'm really excited.

From the trailer on the 9th.. it feels Dune.. not Hollywood.

Although the reverend mother needs to instil fear by presence, not sure they managed that in the scene. Can't judge until I've seen the film. Love to watch on the big IMAX screen would put the dune and space scenes into the same realm of space (thus the two by the desolation are linked).

Last edited:
Soldato
pushed into 2021
maybe it would be a nail for cinemas, but if distributor adopts a mulan type £20 fee for streaming option ?,
conversely with people wfh, cinemas could have made off peak admission cheaper.

Back
Top Bottom