Dune (2020) - Denis Villeneuve

Soldato
I want to see this in a cinema, much as I love watching films at home, i would prefer to see this the way it has been made.
I am sure Mulan would have had more impact in cinema.
Given Denis and his magnificent music in BR2049, the overwhelming power in places, I want that experience for this.

Soldato
I was just looking at the trailer for the Lynch version of Dune and it is amazing how much trailers have changed since then - certainly much more than film making has.

Personally, I always loved the Lynch version of Dune even if it wasn't the most faithful adaptation of the book. That trailer doesn't make me want to watch it though. I've been looking at trailers quite a bit recently and it is interesting how they do follow certain fashions dependent on the era. I really think trailers hit a bit of a low point during the 80s. Probably, along with the 90s, their lowest point. So many great films from that period have trailers which are a real turn off.

Soldato
I'm actually traumatised. It was the one thing I was looking forward to this year. I get why it's delayed, I get that it might mean Denis has time to make it even more perfect, but it's still a bitter pill to swallow.

Soldato
Unfortunate but expected.
Have they filmed part 2 yet? Or did filming break between part 1 and 2?
We've no idea who Feyd is going to be yet, do we?

Part 2 is only being filmed if part 1 makes enough money. This is one of the reasons why the marketing is plugging Timothy, Zendaya and Jason because they will (hopefully) get the young audience to go and see it - it's simply not enough for Dune fans to go see this film, it needs to have LoTR or Star Wars appeal and make back what it cost and then some.

Soldato
It's okay pushing all the films back but they realise that the cinema industry may be dead by then, Cineworld can't stay open I can't see much hope if they all think a year or two pushback will help.

Seem to be protecting themselves short term but committing suicide long term unless it all goes to streaming ala Disney..

Soldato
OP
Part 2 is only being filmed if part 1 makes enough money. This is one of the reasons why the marketing is plugging Timothy, Zendaya and Jason because they will (hopefully) get the young audience to go and see it - it's simply not enough for Dune fans to go see this film, it needs to have LoTR or Star Wars appeal and make back what it cost and then some.

I thought DV had a 'free pass' on this one to make both parts? He said in some interviews earlier this year it was a pre-condition on him even starting the project that WB would let him make both movies regardless of how the first did.

We've also got the HBOMax series coming about the Bene Geserits, not sure how delayed that is by Covid though.

Soldato
Seems like an obvious time to move to a model where people pay a premium to watch at home at cinema release.

There aren't a lot of films I would go to the cinema to see. But absent cinemas being open, I would happily pay 20quid for a weekend rental to watch at home for the likes of Tenet, Dune, SW.

Soldato
I was just looking at the trailer for the Lynch version of Dune and it is amazing how much trailers have changed since then - certainly much more than film making has.

Personally, I always loved the Lynch version of Dune even if it wasn't the most faithful adaptation of the book. That trailer doesn't make me want to watch it though. I've been looking at trailers quite a bit recently and it is interesting how they do follow certain fashions dependent on the era. I really think trailers hit a bit of a low point during the 80s. Probably, along with the 90s, their lowest point. So many great films from that period have trailers which are a real turn off.

This is always my benchmark trailer, such a brave choice. I honestly can’t imagine what must have been going through the minds on cinema goers seeing this in 1979.

I mean it’s arguably scarier than the actual film, it could have worked against people going to see it.

Back
Top Bottom