Dunkirk (Summer 2017) directed by Christopher Nolan

Man of Honour
Not from this movie but wow just had a suggestion on YouTube for the Dunkirk tracking shot from the movie Atonement (which I've never watched) pretty incredible single take - well worth having a look at if you've not seen it.

Soldato
I was shocked how short the running time is but in my opinion it is a good thing. It would be easy to make it overly long.

Had a settee booked in the Tynseide Cinema for Sunday afternoon for a while now. Was pumped before but now the reviews are glowing I am really excited. Although I have enjoyed a few films over the last few years nothing has compared to Cinema going in the mid to late 90s. Braveheart, HEAT, Saving Private Ryan, The Matrix.

It looks like this could be up there with them.

Associate
going to try and go on Saturday/Sunday, had this earmarked as soon as i saw it was being released so cant wait. Regret earlier in the year not going to see Hacksaw Ridge in the cinema as have watched since and thought it was brilliant, not making the same error again.

Caporegime
Wonder if theres any truth to this:

http://ancestralenergies.blogspot.co.uk/2010/05/where-were-black-people-at-dunkirk.html

Wednesday, May 26, 2010
Where Were the Black People at Dunkirk?

The UK is currently commemorating the 70th anniversary of Dunkirk. There will be a celebration in Dunkirk later this week.

In case you are not sure what this refers to, in 1940, during the early days of the Second World War, Britain and France suffered defeat at the hands of Germany, and their troops were stranded on the French beaches at Dunkirk.

More than 900 little ships came from Britain, evacuated the British and French forces and ferried them across the Channel to safety. They were able to rescue thousands of troops over the course of several days. This is often reported as an example of wartime British bravery and comradeship.

What is rarely talked about is the fact that many troops in the French Army were from Africa, and the little ships refused to take the Black soldiers. They left them on the beaches for the Germans to capture, and many ended up in Auschwitz. Senegalese director Sembene Ousmane mentions this in his film Camp Thioroye, which is based on the true story of a massacre of African soldiers by the French Army during the war.

:eek: if true

Caporegime
not a very plausible source really... Senegaliese Soldiers were used by the French, though whether they were 'left on the beaches' is a bit of a different question, sounds rather dodgy - AFAIK plenty of French troops were used to defend the retreat (some British troops were too and were captured) - I wonder if this is someone conflating Senegalese regiments (along with other French and some British troops) being used to protect the withdrawal of British and French troops - they wouldn't have necessarily been any where near the beach in that case.

Back
Top Bottom