1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD-RAM Drives

Discussion in 'Optical Storage & Writing' started by Simian, 26 Jan 2006.

1. Simian

Sgarrista

I've got a pile of DVD-RAM discs, 6x Type I Cartridge Discs which can't be removed from their caddy!!...

My Old Lacie External (toshiba) 1x SCSI Drive has just given up the ghost!, So I'm after a replacement...

I've found 3x MultiWrite Drives on OcUK and was wondering if any of em will accept my discs in their Caddy's cos they can't be taken out!!... I know the Type IV onward can be removed but these are Type I...

The Drives I've found are:

LG GSA-4167BA 16x16 DVD±RW Dual Layer ReWriter (Beige)

Liteon SHM-165P6S-01C 16x DVD±RW/RAM (Beige)

NEC ND4550 16x16 DVD±RW Dual Layer ReWriter (Black)

But I can't find any usefull info on any of their websites!...

Cheers IA
    Simon. :)

2. MeatLoaf

Capodecina

Im fairly certain that these drives only take the disc itself, ive got the LG drive and that deffo wont take a caddy. Can you not break the disk out of its caddy by breaking the caddy?

3. Simian

Sgarrista

There's some wierd Read/Write bit on the bottom of the disc!?!... dunno if it needs this or not!... and the Data is a bit important to Smeg it up trying!...

So thats the LG off the list!... and I think the LiteOn is the same... (found a little info on it now!)...

Anyone know about the NEC??... or if there are any others out there!?!...

Cheers
    Sim

4. Rambaud

Wise Guy

NEC 4550 cannot take cartridge DVD-RAM ( I have the NEC 4550 and LG 4163).

I have kept back an old Vivastar (re-badged Panasonic) drive for DVD-RAM cartridges.

I have had no problems removing the discs from their cartridges - but they then have the same 1000 cycles life as DVD-/+RW discs.