1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVDR Burning speed

Discussion in 'Optical Storage & Writing' started by Dave2150, 5 Feb 2006.

1. Dave2150

Soldato

Ive just installed a Pioneer DVR-110DBK, and burned a Video (I own the copyright) at 4x speed using Nero 7. The Video file I burnt performs perfectly in my Standalone DVD player.

I burned it at 4x (the lowest speed Nero would allow me to specify) because I have read that the slower the burn, the higher quality and the less chance of getting stuttering when playing back.

Is there any truth to this? Or can I go ahead and burn at 16x whenever I want? I have heard people say they burn at 1x, but I dont have the option to be below 4x for some reason.

The PC im using to burn is high spec (see sig), and I dont multitask while I burn the disc, so there are no problems there.

Thanks.

P.S. You may be thinking why dont I just try burning at 16x and see if it stutters, its just that I dont want to waste a disc and burn loads before I realise there is a problem.

2. >:|sh4d0w|:<

Mobster

There is limited truth in that assumption, yes at 16x the burns will have higher PIE/PIFs on scans but playback will not sufer from extra stuttering etc, providing the media is of good quality. Burn at 8x its considered the sweet spot, 16x is not worth the extra time, but at 8x the discs are good quality, and will play just like the same dye burned at 4x

3. Dave2150

Soldato

Thanks for the info. Im using Verbatim 4.7GB 16x DVD+R media, I read this normally uses the best dye's.

These PIE/PIF's - what exactly do they do? If they do not cause stuttering, do they cause artifacts to appear, or a loss of detail?

4. >:|sh4d0w|:<

Mobster

Parity Inner Failure
    amd
    Parity Inner Error

One can scan a disc to judge the quality of the burn, they dont tend to cause the things you mentioned, they just given an indication of burn quality. Loss of detail wouldnt ocurr, the player reads the discs as raw data, 1's and 0's, if it cannot read some of the data it will skip, not reduce the quality.

5. Rambaud

Wise Guy

It is very media and drive dependent.

With my BenQ drives ( I have a 1620, 1640 and 1655), I find 12x burning to be the best compromise of speed v. quality.

With my LG 4163, 16x is fine with good media - Taiyo Yuden or Verbatim.

With my Pioneer 109XL, 12x is better and quicker than 16x.