• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

DVI...?

Associate
This may sound terribly amateurish, but I do not know how I can use the DVI socket in my graphics card...(Ati X800 GTO 512mb)

My monitor (Sony SDM81-B) has a DVI socket, but when I connect them both up, I get a picture whilst the pc is booting up, but it goes off when windows starts. Meanwhile it all works fine if I just connect my screen to the normal/standard out on the graphics card.

So my question is - should my DVI out be working? And if so, what am I doing wrong?

Associate
You'l notice that in windows you have 2 monitors in the display properties. One of those is for the standard output, the other for the DVI output. Boot with it on the standard output then in the display properties change your primary display to the "other" monitor. Then reach round the back and plug the monitor into the DVI port. Should get a signal.

Associate
OP
Dureth said:
You'l notice that in windows you have 2 monitors in the display properties. One of those is for the standard output, the other for the DVI output. Boot with it on the standard output then in the display properties change your primary display to the "other" monitor. Then reach round the back and plug the monitor into the DVI port. Should get a signal.

Not sure if I can do that...at least i think I tried to do that with no success. I'll check again when I get home.
I'm using the ATi Catalyst Control Centre, which only gives me the option of one monitor even though it shows two on the set up screen when I select the monitor 2 it just switches back to monitor 1 !
Anyway, I'll try that again later.

Back
Top Bottom