• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

DX11 the next generation - overall impressions

Caporegime
Technology means nothing, design is EVERYTHING, physics/physx are NOTHING without a guy there behind the scenes programming things that interact with each other. You can't put a basic wall thats designed as one block and a physx engine magically makes it breakable, a guy has to design a wall in a dozen pieces and texture every edge and make it breakable, same goes for everything else.

You don't write code and it will work differently under a dx11 wrapper, you have to program tesselation effects, or anything else.

You can usually make a game look great under ANY DX version, its just about design time and overall end performance, giving you shortcuts and often just removing overheads enables you to use more effects, but effects that you could already make.

DX11 itself should make it easier for programmers to add MORE effects into a game but doesn't really make anything particularly new available.

Unfortunately we went through a period where games had to be designed for dx9 and dx10 at the same time and as the bulk of users were on dx9 and dx10 was such a slim upgrade(thanks Nvidia) and Vista was a bit of a hulking beast of bloatware rubbish(thanks MS) that usual push for everyone to move forward, just wasn't there. The uptake to Windows 7 has been FAR more successful than the uptake to Vista, and this dramatic change in numbers of people with them, plus the amounts of people with DX10 cards at least, mean designing for dx11 and ignoring dx9 is starting to happen and THATS where the real push forwards comes from, not new stuff being available, but programmers being able to not have to think about the old stuff.

Thats why DX10 is such a good thing, a break from DX9, a distinct level of support you have to give.

As for the cards themselves, theres NEVER been a reason to look at if a new card is good or not EXCEPT based on its raw performance. THe 5xxx series has been great with a large improvement over last gen(remember in general the performance difference for the past decade is going for a 70-90% performance bump over the normal last gen cards, ie 4870 to 5870, x800xt to x1800xt.

In some games, Metro 2033, which is hard on cards and looks great, the 5770 is faster than the 4890, and the 5870 is double the fps of a 4890, thats simply as good scaling as you could possibly hope with double the rops, double the shader power and similar clocks, infact, its ruddy amazing performance.

The Fermi's, well, less impressive, expensive, hot, hungry and due to missing clock speed targets, well a 465gtx should NOT be fighting alongside a 275gtx a 465gtx should be comftably ahead of a 285gtx, even if not by a huge amount, it just should be, always. They aren't bad cards, but if they were 50% smaller, on time, cheaper and offered the same power usage/noise/heat levels as AMD's cards it would be a whole lot better.

Both cards are roughly speaking, about where they should be. Some generations you'll move from a crappy to a fantastic process, a large to a smaller core and get a fantastic speed boost. Some gen's you'll move from the peak of design efficiency in terms of die size and process quality, to an awful process, the fact a 5870 can offer double the performanec of a 4890 in some games is, honestly, astonishing considering the process each card is on. Prices aren't fantastic, and thats the downside of the process AMD haven't been able to avoid by far enough, but if they didn't have a couple of fixes to raise the yields, prices would be even higher again.

AMD have made the most of a terrible process and poor year for production to produce cards that have the performance increase we wanted. Nvidia have made very little of the process and managed to make a card 20% slower than it should have been, but its still a decent card and considering the TSMC process, its actually not half bad and could have been a LOT worse.

Raw performance, these cards are fine, next gen(another 40nm card) people will be very dissappointed, theres no way in hell AMD will hit a 70-90% performance bump on the same process(nor should they be able to). THe jump from 40nm -28nm should bring hopefully be a bigger than usual performance jump to compensate for a very small jump between 5870-6870.

This gen, not dissappointing, except for late and hungry if you waited for Nvidia, next gen(staying on 40nm) will appear to suck, and the one after might be the biggest jump for the past decade.

DX11 is neither here nor there, you judge new cards on their performance, dx11, display port, Shader model 58, ieee7584, Cuda 68, Stream 45, physx, opencl, these are buzzwords, they mean nothing to anyone but a programmer but are used as advertising spin. Game quality/graphics are down to design not what features the cards support(which for the past decade have been so close to each other as to never matter in more than 1-2 games a generation and really completely ignorable SM2c and 3, FarCry, was that the only game that mattered and it barely looked different, woo).

Associate
OP
Excellent post drunkenmaster - enjoyed reading all of that. You've obvioulsy got a lot of knowledge and insight into the subject.

Last edited:
Soldato
Informative drunkenmaster.

This is why I held of purchaseing a 5870..... I figured that the biggest issue with the 5000 radeons are the tesselation performance.

But as has been pointed out, tesselation is not that widely used at the moment, so amd are spot on with the hardware they brought out.

However, I still figuered that £300 was expensive even for the performance of the 5870, and the fact that if I was to buy a 5870 now, nearly one year after they where released, i would be buying a card for £300 months before a 6870 card will be released (hypothetically) which will be the same price, but hopefully better at tesselation.

Associate
PC gaming on the whole is being limited by consoles at the moment, so when the next generation of those come out, thats when we actually need all the power (I'm talking mainstream, not those who play with 27 inch monitors with everything at full setting demanding 60fps).

The fact that no game has matched Crysis yet indicates a stagnation at least in the graphics front for PC gaming.

Regarding DX11, I imagine if the new Xbox will have tessellation properly built in, then it will be used a lot more. Until then, we will be stuck with DX11 add ons to DX9 games.

LOL crysis is terrible coded and optimized, There are far better looking games out then crysis now.. and they run twice as good on half the hardware.

Associate
OP
I always wondered why Crysis was so hard on graphics cards. I mean, it was made exclusively for the PC.

It's a nice looking game, but it shouldn't be so hard to run looking at the visuals.

Associate
Metro 2033 is just really badly optimized and very boring and crysis is still unbeaten in very high with AA. What other games look better?

In terms of DX11, it's a bit like a few years ago when bioshock 1 had DX10 effects. You simply could not tell the difference unless you got the microscope out. The transition from one DX to another is virtually imperceptible but it's all good progress.

Klo

Klo

Soldato
LOL crysis is terrible coded and optimized, There are far better looking games out then crysis now.. and they run twice as good on half the hardware.

Name some. Metro doesn't look better imo.

The efficiency and optimisation of the code is irrelevant.

Associate
Visuals haven't progressed noticeably since Unreal Tournament 3.

I'm hoping Doom IV gets PC gaming out of recession, but like Doom III, the waiting will seem like forever.

Until then Deadspace II is all I can think of to look forward to.

Associate
I think its going to take another year before we really see the step up and realise how good dx11 is. Personally I am waiting to see what comes on the frostbyte 2 engine.

Associate
I haven't seen a particulary impressive difference between dx9 and dx10/11 when games support it.

I guess there won't be a massive mainstream push for dx 11 until support for xp dies out (In mid 2014) and most people will upgrade to windows 7.

Soldato
I haven't seen a particulary impressive difference between dx9 and dx10/11 when games support it.

I guess there won't be a massive mainstream push for dx 11 until support for xp dies out (In mid 2014) and most people will upgrade to windows 7.

Drunkenmaster's post explains excellently the lack of 'impressive difference' in games designed with each version.

I imagine by 2014 we'll be looking at Directx 12 or beyond. But the direction the next generation of consoles take may also influence development. Plenty of threads to come on the matter i'm sure :)

Soldato
look back at the start of previous directX updates, DX11 has been a huge success so far, and look back at the start of DX9 titles, the graphics weren't all that and the games were few and far between.

DX11 has a lot of unused potential at the moment.

Soldato
I think its going to take another year before we really see the step up and realise how good dx11 is. Personally I am waiting to see what comes on the frostbyte 2 engine.

I think it wil take longer then that, compare the DX 9 games of today compared to the DX9 games of 2004, it takes years to get the best out of API and since according to Steams hardware survey a large portion of games still use Windows XP it's not int he developers interests to support an API that a lot of gamers don't have access to.

If anything you could argue DX11 has punched well above it's weight in terms of success, the adoption rate in its infancy is impressive when compared to DX10 or even when DX9 first game out.

Soldato
DX9 was a success eventually, DX10 was largely a failure, but DX11 has already enjoyed much more success than either did in their launches, and I can only imagine that we will be discussing what changes could be made over DX11 once DX12 and DX13 are coming out as developers and computers get better at handling DX11.

Associate
Drunkenmaster's post explains excellently the lack of 'impressive difference' in games designed with each version.

I imagine by 2014 we'll be looking at Directx 12 or beyond. But the direction the next generation of consoles take may also influence development. Plenty of threads to come on the matter i'm sure :)

True,maybe it takes a new release of xbox and DX12 for developers to start to want to change from DX9.

Or maybe when World of warcraft upgrades to dx11 all over games will convert also.But i still think it is to do with the life of windows Xp and the majority market share it still has.When xp dies so does dx9 i think,but not before or after imo.

Back
Top Bottom