DX12 and Vulkan Question with Old Hardware

Associate
Hi,
I have a system here running the old Core 2 Quad (Q6600), 8gb of 1066mhz DDR2 RAM, and a Samsung 860 evo. Its currently paired with a Reference GTX 780ti. CPU is clocked at 3.6ghz and it running 1:1 FSB to DRAM ratio.
I know that the obvious advice would be, buy a new cpu, mainboard and ram, but i'm well aware that the 780ti that I currently have in there is being bottlenecked by the rest of the system. ( I do have a more modern system as well, but this one I'm trying to get every last bit of life out of it without severely sacrificing stability/reliability)

Ive been offered an old Radeon RX480 and it got me thinking, would this be a better choice in this system?

I know for titles with the older APIs that the difference is going to be almost non existent, but for titles that utilise the newer low overhead APIs, would this card be a better match since, so far as I understand it, the cpu would have less work? And with better async compute, would this turn out a resaonable gain in framerates and respective performance in games such as doom with Vulkan?

If anyone has any input, or experience in such config then would be great to hear.

Thanks,

Associate
OP
Thanks,
As could be expected with the 780ti, the Q6600 is the bottleneck for most games as GPU utilization almost always is significantly lower than CPU. The question is more to those that may have experience with such configurations as to what to expect from a low level api title with the rx480(vs 780ti)+Q6600 pairing before I decide to pull the trigger and buy the 480.

Back
Top Bottom