1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dying HDD

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Reaper652, 12 May 2010.

1. Reaper652

Gangster

So im pretty sure my 2nd HDD is failing, started making sort of clicking noises and get a slight grinding as it spins down. Allready got my data backed up, just what to replace it with?

Taken a look around and narrowed it down to two options:
    1. Western Digital 500gb (whats the difference between black, blue and green? all seem to be within £5 of eachother)
    2. Intel x25-m 80gb ssd

Is the SSD worth the extra £100? (will also have to wait around a month longer to afford it) or go for one of the WD drives and SSD some time in the future?

2. eddyc

Wise Guy

Black - performance
    Blue - balance of performance and power saving
    Green - power saving

SSDs are pretty awesome for super fast booting and program loading.

I would go for the WD blue and then get and SSD some time later on.

3. Strepsils

Gangster

Yep ^^ I would go to for the Western digital blue or if you want a bit more performance then you might as well go for the Black version.

4. Reaper652

Gangster

I know thats the sensible option, but there is just a part of me that thinks what better time to upgrade to an SSD than when an old one dies.

Just that age old debate of money vs. performance, which i allways find very hard to decide over.

5. Reaper652

Gangster

btw Strepsils watch out for the signiture police :eek:
    "If no images are used then up to 4 consecutive lines of normal or smaller text is permitted."