Dying Light - PC next gen zombie open world game?

Soldato
Do you take your existing character and gear into the new map or do you start over?
You use an existing character, yes.

However, if you want to 'start fresh', so to speak, but still generally meet the recommended level for The Following(level 16), you can start a new campaign of the main game at pre-determined points in the story, where you'll be thrown in at the appropriate level with the ability to spec your character out how you like with the points it gives you. Obviously, the farther you pick in the game, the more points you'll have to spend. So you can basically just pick a point, start it up, back out and then use that character for The Following as well. This is useful if you feel you've got something of an overpowered character or if you simply want to spec your guy out a bit differently and not have tons of items and weapons already.

I will say this, though - the game is generally harder now(across both main game and The Following). Zombies move faster and are more aggressive. Sit battling a zombie for more than a few moments and you run a very high risk that more are quickly coming up on you from the side or behind you where you cant see. It also feels like they take more punishment than before, which will make it a lot more difficult before you get finishing moves. Running away just seems like the better option a lot more frequently now.

This may be annoying for some, but I think it's pretty cool. Along with playing on Hard mode and without the minimap on, I feel this may very well be the best 'survival' horror game yet(dont mean that in the traditional definition of the genre, but in literal terms). Not knowing where virals are ahead of time or when chasing you makes for some super thrilling chases, especially since it seems like there's a lot more of them in The Following. I came upon a group of five of them at one point. And yea, this applies to Volatiles too, which.........um......yea, if you're out at night, wear diapers. And dont think being in a car makes you the least bit safe from them. :p

Last edited:

wnb

wnb

Soldato
Just got to love the the crossbow:) I also picked up a shotgun, just got to love the shot gun. Anyone want to coop my steam name is Cool Hand Luke.

Soldato
Is the shotgun a new addition?

Noticed a bow for sale, so assumed that is part of the enhanced update. Same goes for crossbow. Shotgun though, I would have guessed was part of the game pre enchanced update.

Soldato
So what the verdict with the expansion so far? Worth it?
I'm pretty mixed on it, personally. I'm still not super far into it, but I think it can be hit and miss and depends a lot on what you liked about the main game.

Not really digging the driving around so much. I've always been a fan of being on foot in open-world games and Dying Light made getting around like that a total joy in the main game, so I'm a bit resistant to taking full use of the buggy to get around. I'm also using keyboard/mouse and it's never the best way to control a vehicle. Traveling on foot is a lot more difficult here cuz the game throws a lot of enemies at you. I've often found myself being swarmed by virals and while it's thrilling, it's also frustrating on Hard cuz I die really easily. Does make things tense as I try and find my way through or around big groups of zombies, but really, the expansion is designed for you to drive to get from point A to point B.

Enemies are all a lot faster and more aggressive and take more punishment, so difficulty is increased, for better or worse.

Mission design is good. I've enjoyed what they've had me doing so far.

I do think overall, I preferred the more densely zoned main game areas than this more open expanse map. But that's just me. Still fun, though. More Dying Light is great.

Soldato
Is the Enhanced Edition worth £40 on steam? Never played the original and was waiting for this version, but seems pricey for something that isn't completely new. Are there any places that sell it cheaper but aren't dodgy?

Soldato
I'm pretty mixed on it, personally. I'm still not super far into it, but I think it can be hit and miss and depends a lot on what you liked about the main game.

I do think overall, I preferred the more densely zoned main game areas than this more open expanse map. But that's just me. Still fun, though. More Dying Light is great.

So, would you generally recommend it? I started the base game a couple days ago and I'm enjoying it quite a bit (only 3-4 hours in, though) but what you wrote is my main concern about the expansion - too much driving, too little parkour. I've recently dropped Mad Max due to being fed up with all the driving, grinding and repetitiveness. Good game but it quickly becomes tiresome and extremely monotonous. I really hope this isn't the same.

Associate
Is the Enhanced Edition worth £40 on steam? Never played the original and was waiting for this version, but seems pricey for something that isn't completely new. Are there any places that sell it cheaper but aren't dodgy?

I bought my copy from cdkeys for £23 and it's been well worth that without even touching the expansion.

Soldato

I think the Enhanced Edition you have in mind contains everything: the enhanced base game + all DLC and the Following.

EDIT: Also, Steam prices are a bit silly, I'd look around for a cheaper key.

Back
Top Bottom