Dying Light - PC next gen zombie open world game?

Caporegime
Another Patch out.

Patch 1.11.0 release notes

Added new community created maps
Various stability improvements, including co-op
Fixed quarantine zones not being playable more than once
Removed common duplication exploits
Minor tweaks and fixes improving the game
Added NVIDIA Percentage Closer Soft Shadows (PCSS)

Dying Light: The Following fixes:
Fixed quest progression issues in certain situations
Balance and progression tweaks

Soldato
Hands down one of the most frustrating and unfair games I've ever played. Human opponents have ridiculous health and agility and can block 80% of your attacks. I suppose Techland wanted to make the game more "realistic" by making you constantly feel in danger but why the hell doesn't it apply to other human beings? Since when does it take 15 hits to the head with a PICKAXE to kill a single thug and why said thug is able to block it countless times with a BLOODY CLEAVER? Why doesn't he get tired like me?:p

And don't even get me started on losing survivor points on each death because the game failed to register that I wanted to grab a ledge or because I was jumped by a pack of virals appearing out of nowhere.

Virals are annyoing as ****. Not scary, just annoying with all that stupid screaming and running around. And the other special zombies, especially those big ones with sledgehammers with ridiculous amount of health and those green goo spitting *******s, are simply preposteous and shouldn't even be in the game. They just look out of place.
.:p

all games are like this.........the only realistic games for health/damage are Far Cry and Rainbow 6.

the ones i hate are the Night Stalkers?.........they're clearly dead from the first sword swipe, because i'm not missing i'm definitely hitting them, yet they still manage to jump on me every time.

conclusion :- it's so bad that i never game at night, i sleep through it.

Soldato
all games are like this.........the only realistic games for health/damage are Far Cry and Rainbow 6.

the ones i hate are the Night Stalkers?.........they're clearly dead from the first sword swipe, because i'm not missing i'm definitely hitting them, yet they still manage to jump on me every time.

conclusion :- it's so bad that i never game at night, i sleep through it.

Yeah, you're right but Dying Light takes this to a whole new level. I can't remember a game where a bloke takes multiple kicks to the face, is afterwards hit in the head with a modified hammer or a baseball a dozen times and still remains pretty much unfazed:p What's more, the damage you take from their attacks is ridiculous at times and most of their blocks are just plain impossible:p

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uS1bkV0Jw5U

Just look at 1:22, bonkers really. It almost looks comical how they're taking multiple kicks to the face/stomach with no effect whatsoever (yet a single kick you take stuns you for a good while), block five consecutive attacks and then block all the knives the guy is throwing at them on top of that:p

A comment made below the video sums it up pretty nicely:

"The apocalypse teaches you how to:
- Dodge attacks by letting them swing straight through you, but it's okay because you made a ducking 'motion'

- Parry small projectiles hurled at you out of the air with a wrench like you're the one

- Do full strength attacks without being interrupted, despite being kicked in the stomach twice and bashed in the face with a hammer":D

I've never seen combat as ridiculous as this in any game I've ever played.

Soldato
Yeah, you're right but Dying Light takes this to a whole new level. I can't remember a game where a bloke takes multiple kicks to the face, is afterwards hit in the head with a modified hammer or a baseball a dozen times and still remains pretty much unfazed:p What's more, the damage you take from their attacks is ridiculous at times and most of their blocks are just plain impossible:p

Just look at 1:22, bonkers really. It almost looks comical how they're taking multiple kicks to the face/stomach with no effect whatsoever (yet a single kick you take stuns you for a good while), block five consecutive attacks and then block all the knives the guy is throwing at them on top of that:p

- Dodge attacks by letting them swing straight through you, but it's okay because you made a ducking 'motion'

- Parry small projectiles hurled at you out of the air with a wrench like you're the one

- Do full strength attacks without being interrupted, despite being kicked in the stomach twice and bashed in the face with a hammer":D

If you've ever played a turn-based combat system, then yes, you have.

Games aren't all supposed to be about realism, obviously. Dying Light has a lot of RPG elements in it and that means there has to be a very abstract way of thinking about damage and health and weapons and whatnot. It is not supposed to be a simulator.

Associate

Dude you need to take a step back and realise it's a game. If you're looking for realism then a game about a zombie apocalypse in a fictional city isn't for you.

Soldato
Well, whatever you say chaps but if you think my complaint is about realism alone then I believe you have completely missed the point. If you think that human opponents should behave like that just because it's a game about zombies and that the above footage doesn't look in the slightest bit stupid then all the power to you.

Combat in games doesn't have to be realistic to make sense, is it so hard to grasp what the problem is? Does setting a game in a fictional enviroment completely exclude the possibility of some of its elements remaining moderately believable? It doesn't look unrealistic. It looks totally ridiculous.

And drawing comparisons with turn-based rpgs is completely out of place. This is an action game with rpg flavouring. It looks, plays and feels like one. Gathering resources and having a skill tree doesn't make it an rpg. If it were so, Rise of the Tomb Raider would be classified as one. I don't have a problem with enemies taking multiple hits to take down in the initial stages of the game, the issue lies elsewhere.

I know it's a game, no need to get your knickers in a twist about an opinion. If I didn't like it I wouldn't put 30 hours into it over the last two months. But my point still stands, human enemies behave ridiculously and are beyond anything I've ever seen in an ACTION SURVIVAL game.

Soldato
Enemies too spongey? Apart from the demo I've haven't played the game yet. I'll be able to evaluate fully once I purchase it (Looking for a good deal on the latest edition).

It's a very good game, definitely grab it if you can. My problem was simply that human enemies are way too agile, can take too much damage and rarely even react to your attacks (fortunately it gets a bit better as you get more powerful). Don't know where the "realism" argument came from, it's simply about expecting a bare minimum of common sense. It just looks ridiculous.

Just because it's "a game about a zombie apocalypse in a fictional city" I shouldn't expect human enemies to react to a kick in the face or take less than 15 hits to the head with a pickaxe? It's like saying I shouldn't expect a car to turn left or right in an arcade racing game because it's not a simulator and therefore not realistic. Utterly stupid argument:rolleyes: It's not some incredible realism FFS, it's basic stuff.

And since we were talking about realism, the devs seem to have implemented a bunch of pretty realistic elements like getting fatigued, having to repair weapons, health not regenerating fully, severe fall damage etc.

When they go out of their way to implement such features instead of making the game fully arcade or fully RPG, then such fights just look stupid. End of. And it's not just my opinion because quite a lot of people were mentioning that human enemies can be pretty comical.

And regarding that RPG argument, Witcher 3 is a true RPG and enemies react to your attacks all the time. They get staggered, stumble etc.

Soldato
Well, whatever you say chaps but if you think my complaint is about realism alone then I believe you have completely missed the point. If you think that human opponents should behave like that just because it's a game about zombies and that the above footage doesn't look in the slightest bit stupid then all the power to you.

Combat in games doesn't have to be realistic to make sense, is it so hard to grasp what the problem is? Does setting a game in a fictional enviroment completely exclude the possibility of some of its elements remaining moderately believable? It doesn't look unrealistic. It looks totally ridiculous.

And drawing comparisons with turn-based rpgs is completely out of place. This is an action game with rpg flavouring. It looks, plays and feels like one. Gathering resources and having a skill tree doesn't make it an rpg. If it were so, Rise of the Tomb Raider would be classified as one. I don't have a problem with enemies taking multiple hits to take down in the initial stages of the game, the issue lies elsewhere.

I know it's a game, no need to get your knickers in a twist about an opinion. If I didn't like it I wouldn't put 30 hours into it over the last two months. But my point still stands, human enemies behave ridiculously and are beyond anything I've ever seen in an ACTION SURVIVAL game.
I didn't say it was an RPG, I said it had RPG elements. There are plenty of turn-based combat games that aren't strict RPG's.

The point is that it is a GAME. It is not a combat simulator. As with anything not trying to be a simulator, there are necessary abstractions with certain aspects and mechanics of the game.

You're creating some weird, strict rules about what certain games have to be and do and there's no real logical reasoning behind it. It's just your own warped expectations. You are entirely entitled to *want* the game to be different from what it is; maybe you wish it was more of a simulator-type game, but it's not and it wasn't designed to be. I'm not asking you to rate it better, but to try and say it's 'ridiculous' or is doing something wrong is nonsensical when talking about video games, given that I could do that with just about anything out there. I brought up turn-based games because they are the epitome of forgoing realism for progression and depth. Just because a game is action-based doesn't mean it has to be ultra realistic, either.

And regarding that RPG argument, Witcher 3 is a true RPG and enemies react to your attacks all the time. They get staggered, stumble etc.
Enemies in Dying Light do, too. Maybe not as much as you like, but they do.

I dont know how I could have gotten through the game without the slide and jumpkicks, for instance. There's quite a few other moves that can stagger or knock down foes, too.

Last edited:
Soldato
I didn't say it was an RPG, I said it had RPG elements. There are plenty of turn-based combat games that aren't strict RPG's.

The point is that it is a GAME. It is not a combat simulator. As with anything not trying to be a simulator, there are necessary abstractions with certain aspects and mechanics of the game.

You're creating some weird, strict rules about what certain games have to be and do and there's no real logical reasoning behind it. It's just your own warped expectations. You are entirely entitled to *want* the game to be different from what it is; maybe you wish it was more of a simulator-type game, but it's not and it wasn't designed to be. I'm not asking you to rate it better, but to try and say it's 'ridiculous' or is doing something wrong is nonsensical when talking about video games, given that I could do that with just about anything out there. I brought up turn-based games because they are the epitome of forgoing realism for progression and depth. Just because a game is action-based doesn't mean it has to be ultra realistic, either.

Well, I've kind of expected such a response since I've seen you around this forum arguing with people who have a slightly different opinion on a given subject than you do and trying to impose your point of view.

So let's get this over with:

1. Expecting enemies to react to a simple kick and to be a bit less overpowered in a game which has already quite a few believable elements has nothing to do with uber realism and is far from "warped expectations". You just sound utterly stupid now, sorry.

2. So you say there's no logical reason for wanting an enemy to react to five subsequent attacks? Really? Does it need to be a simulator for people to expect such simple things? Again, not every car game is a simulator but you expect the cars to turn and crash if you drive them into a wall, don't you? Not every shooter is a simulator, but if you shoot stuff it blows up or dies, doesn't it? Human enemies in this game behave a bit comically and I have a slight problem with that. it's you who tries to warp stuff and create some strict rules as to what I can or can't expect from a fictional game and there isn't any logical reasoning behind your standpoint either.

3. If you still can't get through your head that this hasn't anything to do with wanting the game to be a "simulator" but is a simple opinion about an element of the game which is quite naff and said opinion isn't exclusive to me then sorry, this is pointless.

I just commented on a simple thing I don't like about the game (the game as a whole is actually very good) and you're doing your usual thing blowing stuff out of proportion, talking about warped expectations and saying that basic reactions to an attack in an action game is simulator material. Seriously man, get a grip.

EDIT: And since you like to play the wise guy all the time with your "logical" reasoning (which you seem to lack, quite paradoxically), then would you be ok if cars in GTA V went through walls three out of five times you crash into something? Or if melee attacks went through people a couple of times before connecting or if they rarely reacted to them? Would calling that a bit naff also be out of place since it's not a simulator and therefore you can't have any reasonable expectations? Wouldn't you allow someone an opinion to call it "ridiculous" or "stupid" because it's a game? Or do you only accept arguments that conform with your own self-righteous stance?

Last edited:
Associate
"Originally Posted by snips86x View Post
AAAGGHHHH!!!! This is driving me up the wall. I'm on a tower trying to secure a safe zone in The Following and it's telling me to 'Switch on the Power' but there isn't a switch..."

Theres a main story quest that addresses turning on power at the dam i think

Soldato
Got the same problem at exactly the same tower.
I just left in the end.

Yeah, I gave up in the end on this one and reloaded my save point further back. Found a different one in the end!

"Originally Posted by snips86x View Post
AAAGGHHHH!!!! This is driving me up the wall. I'm on a tower trying to secure a safe zone in The Following and it's telling me to 'Switch on the Power' but there isn't a switch..."

Theres a main story quest that addresses turning on power at the dam i think

It wasn't the dam, it was elsewhere in the hills. I must say, the 4 hours I've been playing this have been superb! I loved the game on release and played over and over...DLC is just as good for me, thoroughly enjoy it so far.

Soldato
I must say, the 4 hours I've been playing this have been superb! I loved the game on release and played over and over...DLC is just as good for me, thoroughly enjoy it so far.

I love how you can jump to and fro between the main game and the dlc while keeping your xp and equipment, brilliant idea.

Soldato
I love how you can jump to and fro between the main game and the dlc while keeping your xp and equipment, brilliant idea.

...also makes the DLC easier to play due to the fact I've levelled up! Looking forward to another few hours tonight!

Hope they've got more planned but I've not been watching their news releases on up and coming content.

Soldato
...also makes the DLC easier to play due to the fact I've levelled up! Looking forward to another few hours tonight!

Hope they've got more planned but I've not been watching their news releases on up and coming content.

Yup, If I'd jumped straight into the DLC I would've been mauled:D But if you reach a high enough level in the main game, then it's great that you can change the environment/playstyle should you get bored of running around rooftops and the go back again.

Regarding future dlc's, I don't think they're planning to do any more but I guess what we've already got is plenty of content. I'm 34 hours into the main game and I still havent finished the main storyline nor unlocked all the skills/completed all the sidequests.

Would play some more but that damn Phantom Pain keeps pulling me back and my next Japanese exam is fast approaching:p

Caporegime
Patch 1.11.1 Released

Patch 1.11.1 release notes

General:
• Chromatic aberration toggle added.
• Various stability improvements, including co-op

Dying Light: The Following fixes:
• Fixed a rare bug causing loss of all equipped car parts during a Be the Zombie match

Linux-specific fixes:
• Fixed movies not playing in the skill details sub-menu.

Back
Top Bottom