E-Type Jags

Soldato
Sequoia said:
As for the Porsche, ever driven a 911 Turbo? They are, without doubt in my view, a drivers car and the sheer punch of the acceleration is an eye-opener the first time you try it, even if used to fast cars. As for styling (and for interior pampering), I agree with you.
Cars, no I don't think so. It's bikes for me. No reasonably priced road-car can come close to a bike for perception of speed but let's not start *that* debate shall we? ;)

Permabanned
What's 'reasonably priced' to you?

I've had a bike-style impression of speed in a V8-engined Locost that cost it's owner about £1200.

Hell, an MG Midget feels faster than that due to proximity to ground/noise/wind.

*n

Wise Guy
Permabanned
phykell said:
Cars, no I don't think so. It's bikes for me. No reasonably priced road-car can come close to a bike for perception of speed but let's not start *that* debate shall we? ;)
Between you and me, it wouldn't be a debate, it'd be a mutual-agreement club. There are VERY few road cars (and that includes some very exotic machinery) that come even close to most decent bikes (and by "decent" I mean of the Fazer 600 variety, not the hairy-chested superbike clones) when it comes to sheer acceleration, or for that matter, the exhilaration. There's something about being cocooned in a metal box (even in something like an Elise with the roof down or off) that diminishes the feel you get from the wind rushing past you, and getting your knee down, sparks flying from boot tips. The closest I've got would be something like an old Lotus Super 7.

But cars and bikes are, for me at least, different experiences and for different purposes. Okay, both will get you from A to B, but theres more too it than that. Much more. I wouldn't want to go to a posh restaurant, on a date, on a bike and I certainly wouldn't go to an important business meeting on one. Nor is it very convenient for picking up the week's shopping, or taking the wife and a couple of friends out. Bikes v cars? Horses for courses, IMHO.

On the other hand, for a blast round country lanes (assuming you're prepared to risk the blind plonkers in cars coming the other way), bikes have no peer. A summer Sunday ride with the mates, too, is a matter for the bike. In a biting wind or snowstorm, though, modern thermal gear or not, I'm safely and snugly cocooned in the car. Fair weather biker? What, moi? :D

Associate
I love Jags.

The E type is beautiful machine, i'm fortunate enough to have done 2-3 laps in one. Lovely to drive... would love to own one of them one day.

However i can't overlook the fact that a late XJS, will be faster, more economical, nicer to drive and more reliable. Although its not as good looking as an E type, get a nice one and you will still be noticed. It still maintains the same "sense of occassion" when driving one when compared to a bland eurobox. £2-3k will get you a really good one, and 4-5 will get you a great condition convertible.

As a student, i can't even afford that, so have got myself a 1991 3.2 XJ6 as an inroad to Jag ownership. Hopefully one day it'll become an E-type. :)

Caporegime
richolmes72 said:
As a student, i can't even afford that, so have got myself a 1991 3.2 XJ6 as an inroad to Jag ownership. Hopefully one day it'll become an E-type. :)

The XJS and XJ6 all handled like pigs, some car program did a review on it, might have been top gear, they got an XJS which had been properly sorted, how it should have come out of the factory in the first place, cost a fair wack to do and it was a great car to drive, in standard Jag factory setup they are no more nimble than your average DUI suspect.

The E-type looks amazing and is a classic, the XJS and XJ6 (in my eyes) don't look as nice and i wouldn't class them as a true classic.

Associate
Firestar_3x said:
The XJS and XJ6 all handled like pigs, some car program did a review on it, might have been top gear, they got an XJS which had been properly sorted, how it should have come out of the factory in the first place, cost a fair wack to do and it was a great car to drive, in standard Jag factory setup they are no more nimble than your average DUI suspect.

The E-type looks amazing and is a classic, the XJS and XJ6 (in my eyes) don't look as nice and i wouldn't class them as a true classic.

The early ones (75-85) weren't the best, when i said "late" i meant 1988 onwards. These ones are much better. When i was talking about driving, i meant as much about the ride as the handling.

The 1988 on XJS and XJ6 handle almost as good as an E-Type, but then again one would expect them too 15 years on from the E.

Sorry if i'm being stupid, but what's a DUI?

Wasn't knocking the E-type at all, lovely car, and would love to own one. Just saying they are very expensive, i admit that the XJS/6 aren't as nice, but a good condition E-type will cost upwards of £15k. And owning an XJ6, i guess i am biased ;)

Back
Top Bottom