E46 330Ci Sport Info

Soldato
Currently idly looking around at facelift 330Ci sports as a replacement for my MK5 GTi. Since I know half the forum have had these I just had a couple of questions.

What's your average range per tank / mpg? Although it's a 3 litre 6 I hear it's quite good? My commute is 35 miles each way with 50% Mway and 50% B road.

What's it like for comfort? The GTi is *alright* but the road noise gets to me sometimes. I know that it's a sports coupe and if I want a sofa I can get a 5 series :)

Is the auto terrible? (The GTi is DSG)

Cheers!

Soldato
There are more qualified people (Vox) who will be able to answer your auto questions but on a commute like that I'd say 30mpg would be achieveable. I've only experienced a manual 330i SE, so the suspension was a little softer than the sport anyway, but it was always very comfy.

Man of Honour
The auto is good for an auto. It's not a dsg. So good at wafting seamlessly around.

Don't expect it to be much if at all more refined than your Golf, that's not really what the 3 series does well.

Soldato
I got mid to high 30's on a steady motorway run and high 20's/low 30's for B-road type driving (6-spd manual - facelift). Tank range, from memory was around 400/450

Sports suspension is stiffer than SE but I never found it that bad - should be comparable to the Golf I'd have thought. Road noise depends a lot on the tyres too.

Man of Honour
I've been looking at these recently and quite like them. I've not tried an auto but from my research they appear to be good boxes although not as good as the VAG DSG (probably more reliable though).

Soldato
On average in mine (330ci Step Auto) I see about 20mpg around town, could possibly get it a little higher if I drive like a granny. On a motorway run sitting at 65/70mph, I average approximately 37-42mpg depending on conditions.

If you're comparing against a DSG box, the Steptronic box is horrible by all accounts. It's an older box so is nowhere near as quick to switch gears, but for a cruiser, it's perfect.

Man of Honour
I've been looking at these recently and quite like them. I've not tried an auto but from my research they appear to be good boxes although not as good as the VAG DSG (probably more reliable though).

You cant say it's not as good, it's different. A DSG is not an auto box and at performing the duties of an autobox the ZF box in the 3 series is much better. But as a consequence it's not a twin clutch automated manual so although it has a manual mode this is nothing like as good as the DSG.

Soldato
I loved mine, still don't think a good one looks dated yet.

You will be able to get mid/high 30's on a motorway run. I found mine to be a nice improvement in refinement but that was coming from a BMW Z4 and a Clio 182 previously :o

I really would like another one.

Soldato
I do a similar sort of journey to you (probably closer to 70/30 mway/town) and tend to average around 26-28mpg in a manual, I don't usually drive with any particular consideration for economy though.

Sitting at 32mpg over the last 100 miles but I've done a fair bit of motorway on the latest tank.

Refinement as mentioned it's fine but I wouldn't say it was any better than a mk5 - if anything tbh it might be a little bit noisier. Tyres will make a bit of difference.

I find the car perfectly comfortable, though mine has eibach springs and the whole suspension setup is (ideally) getting close to needing refreshed for at least the second time in its life.

The auto is a nice slushbox and goes well with the engine, it's no DSG but you shouldn't be expecting that anyway. If you are looking for razor quick shifts then tbh the manual is a better choice.

It does seem like a bit of an odd car to change to from a mk5 gti though, I can't really see any benefit at all unless it's to either save a bit of (purchase) cash or just for a change? It feels like an older car, no quicker in 99% of situations and tbh I'd expect it to cost you more in the way of upkeep

Last edited:
Man of Honour
[TW]Fox;25859690 said:
You cant say it's not as good, it's different. A DSG is not an auto box and at performing the duties of an autobox the ZF box in the 3 series is much better. But as a consequence it's not a twin clutch automated manual so although it has a manual mode this is nothing like as good as the DSG.

Yes I'm fully aware they are different and dual clutch automated manuals are a more modern approach. Most average drivers would still consider them to be automatics though and in some cars they are offered without paddles. In that mode they are, to the end user, a modern auto. In what way is the ZF autobox better at performing the duties of an autobox?

Last edited:
Caporegime
On a run I can get 35 but it requires a lot of attention. Currently averaging 23-24 mixed driving.

Pretty much the same for me (although I have a pre facelift 325i Touring) then again the touring is heavier than the saloon / coupe, in the main mine spends it's time in and around town, I don't drive it with economy in mind generally, it'll do high 30's on a run down to Somerset comfortably.

Chooser of poor weather meets
Soldato
As everyone has said about the auto box, it's fantastic at being an auto and wafting around, but don't expect much from manually selecting the gears.

Long term average is around 24MPG I believe, all my driving is for pleasure and around 80% of it is spent on the motorway. I drive like a granny around town but like I stole it on the motorway (the planting of right foot and engine sound are still addictive and will never get old, always causes a child like grin).

Comfort is distinctly ok, the longest trip I've done in one sitting in it was around 3.5 hours, and at the end I was happy to get out, saying that I regularly do around 1 hour journeys and I'm not fatigued at the end.

Man of Honour
Yes I'm fully aware they are different and dual clutch automated manuals are a more modern approach. Most average drivers would still consider them to be automatics though and in some cars they are offered without paddles. In that mode they are, to the end user, a modern auto. In what way is the ZF autobox better at performing the duties of an autobox?

It's better because it's a proper automatic with a torque converter which delivers much smoother and more seamless shifts than a dsg in auto mode.

Man of Honour
Perhaps it was because it was brand new but the DSG I had on a courtesy car for a week was extremely smooth at changes and near instant. I hear they don't always stay that way though.

Soldato
I find the changes quick but its not really the same as a good auto where you don't even really appreciate it changing at all. The key to a good automatic for me is just being able to forget its even there in everyday driving.

The dsg box tends to get a bit confused when left in auto in situations where a decent slushbox just wafts along. I find myself occasionally ( and to be clear, its not often) wondering what its doing when just driving normally.

Still makes a good effort tbh and when used as intended its a good way to change gears!

Back
Top Bottom