• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

E8400 - how far have people got them on air?

Associate
This is a bad, bad move. I can't adequately describe push pins within the bad language filter. Get one with a backplate, you don't want to bend your motherboard out of shape or to have the heatsink fall off, crashing into your graphics cards.

Push-pins are easy to use - why are you having problems?

PCZ

PCZ

Associate
Freezer 7 Pro mark 2 is push pin.
It doesn't have Intel style twist and click though.

There is a plastic frame which attaches top side with push pins.
They insert with near zero force then 4 pegs are pushed into them which splays them out.

Heatsink attaches to the frame with 2 screws.

You can attach the heatsink without removing the MB as there is no backplate.

The new mounting is universal, unlike the old F7 Pro which only fitted socket 775, or AMD not both.

They work well on dual cores but i wouldn't recommend one for use on an overclocked i5 or Phenon X4.
Don't even think about using one with an i7.

Associate
Freezer 7 Pro mark 2 is push pin.
It doesn't have Intel style twist and click though.

There is a plastic frame which attaches top side with push pins.
They insert with near zero force then 4 pegs are pushed into them which splays them out.

Heatsink attaches to the frame with 2 screws.

You can attach the heatsink without removing the MB as there is no backplate.

The new mounting is universal, unlike the old F7 Pro which only fitted socket 775, or AMD not both.

They work well on dual cores but i wouldn't recommend one for use on an overclocked i5 or Phenon X4.
Don't even think about using one with an i7.

I'll probably order one if it's simple to fit. Back from Uni, I just want to enjoy my PC this summer, I don't wants loads of arsing about.

Soldato
OP
its looks like easy fitting mate, and it its as good as the v1 cooling wise you will be a happy bunny

its 25 degrees outside and atleast the same indoors here atm and i am running a HD video on the other screen running at my day to day 3ghz :D

E2160.jpg

Associate
its looks like easy fitting mate, and it its as good as the v1 cooling wise you will be a happy bunny

its 25 degrees outside and atleast the same indoors here atm and i am running a HD video on the other screen running at my day to day 3ghz :D

E2160.jpg

That's excellent mate, what temps do you get at full load?

Atm mine is running at 45C idle, and 67C load.

Associate
hopefully should have one of these chips soon, just wondering what I hopefully can push it to on air cooling (Freezer7 Pro)

heard that 4ghz+ is possible, but dont want to cook it if i am being over enthusiastic lol

Cheeers

Ben

Should do 4ghz no problem on air as i have had no problems with my freezer pro 7!! is it the EO or CO?
This shot was taken earlier in the year!
orthos44.jpg

suicide runs was hitting my m/b max FSB but still temps were not an issue.
wprimenew.jpg

Soldato
Never pushed mine past 3.6, reason is because its a C0 chip & its got duff thermal sensors on it. I don't actually know the correct temp its running at. Coretemp & HWMonitor says 60, realtemp says 53, Bios says 29 :o

That & I know nothing about overclocking RAM, memory timings voltage etc. can't be arsed as the rig its in isnt used much. :p

Soldato
Ran my old e8400 CO 24/7 at 3.6ghz 1.15v, had it easily upto 4.5ghz only benchmark stable never tried to get it prime stable at that speed as heat was an issue as was using 1.45v+

The E0's are a lot better, as u generally need far less vcore for higher clocks, so therefor will be less heat. Stonking cpu's though.

Permabanned
Had my e8600 for well over a year at 4ghz hasnt missed a beat. I could properly get it higher, but havnt felt the need to do so yet. Mine idle at 35 lower when its cooler. Under load it rarely pops above the 50 mark. Thats with a asus tower cooler dont know the exact name of it as ocuk dont seme to stock it anymore.

Associate
100% load on both cores with Orthos with todays heat: 62 on each core :)

Machine has been on all day so its pretty toasty already in house

Excellent. What is the stock speed of that chip?

I'm gonna get an Arctic Freezer Pro and see if i can run it @ 4Ghz 24/7, it's EO stepping so it should be fine. If it's under 70 degrees at full load i'm happy.

Back
Top Bottom