• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

E8500 questions

Associate
hi all

ive read a fair chunk of the e8xxx overclocking thread and i want one, an e8500 that is.
Id like to get a mobo/ram/cooler setup capable of running 4.5ghz in games.

If someone could help with a few questions that would be great:

Best mobo options for around £100 ?
will an arctic 7 cooler cut it? or will i need a TRUE ?
and finally, running a 475-500fsb, 1066mhz ddr2 ram should be ok yes?

cheers
dan

Man of Honour
4.5Ghz is pretty optimitistic I would have thought. Not without some serious watercooling but then I've had no experience with the E8*** series

a) Asus P5Q
b) yes for some moderate overclocking
c) Yep PC2-8500 will be fine. Although you may have to drop the multiplier to get to those FSB speeds or run the memory Asyncronously.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
thats great thanks, i was considering the p5q, looks good and nice to have my choice seconded :)

when i say 4.5, i mean id like the supporting hardware to be capable of taking the cpu that far IF the cpu is a good un :) you never know..

rjk

rjk

Caporegime
what huddy said

it does very much depend on what stepping you get as to how the chip clocks - but you knew that... right?

Back
Top Bottom