Early Access Games

Do you play them?

I accidentally bought one the other week, Assetto Corsa Competizione. I didn't realise at first it was on early access.

The game is playable with some tracks but there is no actual game there as such. You can do online races but I am finding my wheel is not supported and I cant set a deadzone for my xbox controller so it is pretty much unplayable. Steering is almost impossible and I just end up going to circles on the spot lol. I cant play this as it stands.

So my question is, do you feel that early access games worth the bother?

My experience says not.

Soldato
Yes, I bought BFV. Is it worth it? probably not.
But by the time it's patched up and finished, there'll be a declining number of people playing because the next one will be round the corner.

Generally though, I steer clear unless they're cheap. I have maybe 2 early access games in my steam library.

Soldato
early access is a rip. Devs get people to stump up cash for what is effectively alpha testing. There have been games that have been in early access mode for aeons and still don't have their bugs fixed. It's just a way for companies to fleece PC gamers. Either a game is ready to be sold to paying customers or it still needs alpha / beta testing, in which case open up sign-ons for testers who would willingly help to test and find bugs for you to fix. If you ran out of money half way then you deserve to fail for not being able to project manage your **** properly.

Soldato
Bought Subnautica, even in it's earliest state it was immensely playable and hugely enjoyable. I've played it all the way through to release and put a hundred or so hours into it.

Subnautica is a text book example of early access done right.

On the other hand I also bought DayZ standalone :D

Last edited:
Associate
There are a few examples of early access done well, and giving smaller developers the time and budget to make really good games... But lordly are there a lot of bad examples. Everything from developers with good intentions, not succeeding to complete fraud.

"Developers" who just buy assets call it early access, stick it on steam with a mountain of fake reviews then they just walk away with the money.

I don't think its a bad idea on the whole, but its been abused by a lot of people just looking to make a quick buck, and spoiling it for the rest of us.

Associate
I got it on the basis I would buy it eventually anyway, there aren't many racing games I haven't bought. At this stage it's at a discount to the official release price, I've only tried it a couple of times and decided I'll wait a bit longer before putting much effort into it. If it's up to the standard of the original AC then it'll be good, despite it's limited content.

Soldato
Do I ever!

I have a lot of them, I'll have to count when I'm at the PC.

I prefer EA games to full releases most of the time. Some are just unique to AAA games or cheap and fun that peaks my interest.

Games I own that were/still are, Early Access:

7 Days to Die
BeamNG Drive
ARK
Brick Rigs
Darkest Dungeon
Dead Cells
Dungeon Souls (highly recommend this pixel art dungeon crawler)
Empyrion Galactic Survival
European Ship Simulator
Fernbus Simulator
The Forest
From The Depths
Garrys Mod
Ghost Of A Tale
FTL
Grim Dawn
H1Z1
House Flipper
Kerbal Space Program
Life Is Feudal
Medieval Engineers
Miscreated
Planet Explorers
Reign of Kings
Rust
Scrap Mechanic
SCUM
Slay The Spire
Space Engineers
Starforge
Stranded Deep
Subnautica

Last edited:
Caporegime
I bought Train Valley 2 as I loved Train Valley so much. I can't remember what I paid for it. Maybe £6 or something but I've definitely had my money's worth and the game has still got another 20 levels to be added yet. As a general rule I don't though. For example, I'm not going to get Oxygen Not Included until it's done.

Caporegime
Do you play them?

I accidentally bought one the other week, Assetto Corsa Competizione. I didn't realise at first it was on early access.

The game is playable with some tracks but there is no actual game there as such. You can do online races but I am finding my wheel is not supported and I cant set a deadzone for my xbox controller so it is pretty much unplayable. Steering is almost impossible and I just end up going to circles on the spot lol. I cant play this as it stands.

So my question is, do you feel that early access games worth the bother?

My experience says not.

Yes I do but only if someone I know has personally recommended them.

If not then you should have checked youtube videos, etc.

Your own fault really.

V F

V F

Soldato
early access is a rip. Devs get people to stump up cash for what is effectively alpha testing. There have been games that have been in early access mode for aeons and still don't have their bugs fixed. It's just a way for companies to fleece PC gamers. Either a game is ready to be sold to paying customers or it still needs alpha / beta testing, in which case open up sign-ons for testers who would willingly help to test and find bugs for you to fix. If you ran out of money half way then you deserve to fail for not being able to project manage your **** properly.

Quake Champions.

Associate
My steam library is littered with early access games, some I got burnt out of along time ago, and they are still arnt out of Alpha. Others I’ve played to death and have enjoyed seeing the game progress, I have over 1700 hours in RUST and have played, it’s a full released title. DayZ I have over 500 hours and it’s now in a Beta state. Miscreated I have over 100 hours in and it leaves early access on the 10th December. Arma3 was an early access title and I have sunk over 200 hours into that. Currently playing Onward, Pavlov and WarDust, all early access VR titles.

It’s hit and miss, I have been burnt more times buying into early access games than not. But it won’t deter me, getting into a game and watch it grow over time is also fun, it can really help build a community

Man of Honour
Some early access games are definitely worth it, I bought Subnautica when it was just a few quid in early access and it ended up being an utterly superb game. I bought Rimworld in early access and got hundreds of hours of gameplay out of it. I bought Factorio in early access and got hundreds of hours of gameplay from it. I bought Dont Starve and Oxygen Not Included in early access and have surpassed 1000 hours played in the two combined. I got Darkest Dungeon in early access and topped 200 hours on it, I got Slay the Spire in early access and have recently passed 470 hours played on it.

There is undoubtedly dross out there in early access, but there are also some absolutely top notch games too.

Back
Top Bottom