ebay issue, advice please - sold a camera

Associate
post on here with what eBay say, when did he get the camera? he could try getting it refunded under 7 day distance seller act,

Regards Sam

Aod

Aod

Soldato
post on here with what eBay say, when did he get the camera? he could try getting it refunded under 7 day distance seller act,

Regards Sam

The DSR regulations only apply to people buying from registered commercial business retailers.

if the OP was just selling a camera on eBay that he didn't want anymore then they don't apply in any way at all.

Soldato
Ask him to send the camera back and you will give him a full refund. Remember after the return to offer the refund by going to the specific transaction and clicking on refund.

If he complains to paypal, unfortunately they will allow a return and refund take place.

You do not have to pay for his return costs.

Afterwards, reclaim the ebay final value fees by going to the ebay resolution centre and cancel the transaction and say the buyer returned for a refund.

Unfortunately this idiot will probably leave negative feedback, but you can follow up the feedback by saying you gave a full refund after the return.

edit:

I see that you've escalated this into a paypal dispute, in which case a return and refund will be done and you will almost certainly receive negative feedback.

Last edited:
Soldato
if he knew how to get the number of click's the camera has taken then he knew what he was bidding on and he should have asked you how many click's it had done.

he is trying it on and you should reply "you had x amount of time to ask how many click's it had done"

Soldato
OP
thanks all, will wait to see what ebay say now, fingers crossed !

It's a Canon 50d by the way.

Advert said that it has been used and is in good condition. Explained about the small scuff and scratch on screen.

In the case he said : "The item is damaged internally" ?!?!?

Soldato
send ebay the emails he sent you before

they make it look like he is trying to extort you... mention that thats how you see it too

also mention what someone said above about number of shutter actions.

im fairly sure the worst that can happen is ebay side with him and make you give a refund after he has sent it back

Soldato
OP
And you answered with?

Told ebay that I believe the auction was honest and that the buyer had a chance to ask for the shutter count but choose not to.

That's pretty much it, don't want to mention that he is trying to scam me or anything yet and will see what happens. Did explain that the camera is functioning perfectly well, as it is made to seem it is faulty.

Soldato
OP
Situation now is that I've escalated the case he opened with ebay and waiting a response from customer services .. In the mean time the buyer has responded to the 1st email i sent basically saying that the shutter count is the most important thing that should have been stated and that he could not asked me about it as he only saw the auction 5 minutes before he bid

Do you think I should respond if so what should is say? or wait for ebay to get back about the dispute?

Soldato
Of course, the risk here is that he'll lie and tell ebay that it's broken etc. (exaggerate basically) to get a refund and/or money knocked off.

It's very rare for the seller to come out of this with anything remotely positive.

How did he pay for the item?

Soldato
OP
g'ah just got off the phone with ebay for the past 30 mins !

bottom line they have to go with the buyer, to protect the buyer and he's going to send it back.

Said that I should have mentioned the shutter count regardless if I knew what it was or not ?!?! Seems a crazy policy !!!

Oh well that's put me right off using ebay again to sell stuff. Now worried the camera I'll get back is damaged !!

Soldato
OP
don't think so, kept on saying pretty much the same thing.

Even mentioned how other similar auctions they don't mention it and it doesn't matter. All she was able to say was that it just happens that that buyer is a professional photographer !

What's more crazy is if it now get's lost in the post or damaged ebay will refund me the full cost back !

Caporegime
Who cares if the buyer is a pro or not!
They should ask if unsure before proceeding to purchase, that is the rule that eBay laid down. You do not buy to view, you buy to complete the purchase in good faith.

Is there an appeal process?

Soldato
Said that I should have mentioned the shutter count regardless if I knew what it was or not ?!?! Seems a crazy policy !!!

:confused: Crazy indeed, the buyer took the risk buying without knowing, if you'd have said 'low shutter count' without even specifying a number, then he might have a fair case, but as it is it's just plain stupid.

Back
Top Bottom