Eclipse Internet - Traffic Shaping?

Soldato
Proper traffic shaping doesn't care what port an application is used on - it analyses the packet content. So, if they're doing it properly, you can change ports all you like but it won't have any effect.

Soldato
Phil99 said:
According to Eclipse you're on an UP TO 8Mbps line. This can vary due to factors including (but not limited to):

• Your equipment (some USB modems can't handle full speed)
  • Your phone line (speed the line syncs at depends on quality of line)
  • Exchange contention
  • ISP contention
  • Download server capacity

Eclipse do shape/manage/cap/whatever they call it on BitTorrent with the MaxDSL packages, last week I was capped at 120kB/s, this week I can download full speed (300kB/s+), a while back it was capped at 30kB/s....don't have a clue what they're doing, but generally if you're experiencing this reconnecting to try and get on a different gateway works.

Some people on the ADSLGuide forums have mentioned noticing traffic shaping on Flex, might be worth emailing Tech Support to see if they have anything to say.

What seems to have happened is that Eclipse have just put everyone on the same shaping gear and just capped the Flex users at their service speed whilst still shaping them.

I totally understand this - and while you were not to know I am actually paying more per month than the basic 8mb line to avoid this very thing

I was told when I agreed that my contention would be the 2nd best -out of 4 options I believe - that they did and yet I am still getting lousy results.

I just think its a little steep for them to charge me more money and get just as bad service

Soldato
OP
FrankJH said:
I totally understand this - and while you were not to know I am actually paying more per month than the basic 8mb line to avoid this very thing

I was told when I agreed that my contention would be the 2nd best -out of 4 options I believe - that they did and yet I am still getting lousy results.

I just think its a little steep for them to charge me more money and get just as bad service

what are you on?
theres still the pos that its either your kit or the line to the exchange.

Soldato
FrankJH said:

Are you on one of the business options? That should get you less contention at the exchange + at the ISP, but the 4 Eclipse levels of contention/shaping don't seem to be doing a lot at the moment, I'm on Evolution Option 3 at the moment and there's nothing to suggest people on Option 2 or 1 are getting any worse results than me.

Suspended
I'm on 8mb eclipse, the most expensive out of the 4 options, and since Friday the speeds have been all over the place. I rarely download anything in peaks hours because I don't want to take the no swearing. But where as a few weeks back I'd easily be getting 800k off Newsgroups at say 7am, now I'm managing anywhere between 50-200k. But then an hour later it'll be up to 800k again. The speeds vary like this at all times of the night and day.

Doing speed tests on various online speedcheckers, often tells me I'm only getting 1.5mb down or less. Which seems strange since I've had no probs for the first couple of months on Max, getting a stable 8mb connection within the first week.

Soldato
Phil99 said:
Are you on one of the business options? That should get you less contention at the exchange + at the ISP, but the 4 Eclipse levels of contention/shaping don't seem to be doing a lot at the moment, I'm on Evolution Option 3 at the moment and there's nothing to suggest people on Option 2 or 1 are getting any worse results than me.

I am on 3 aswell, which I was told was a decent service - but I cant understand how they can classify that if I am not even getting 1/2 the speed I am meant to........

Soldato
Mook said:
I'm on 8mb eclipse, the most expensive out of the 4 options, and since Friday the speeds have been all over the place. I rarely download anything in peaks hours because I don't want to take the ****. But where as a few weeks back I'd easily be getting 800k off Newsgroups at say 7am, now I'm managing anywhere between 50-200k. But then an hour later it'll be up to 800k again. The speeds vary like this at all times of the night and day.

Doing speed tests on various online speedcheckers, often tells me I'm only getting 1.5mb down or less. Which seems strange since I've had no probs for the first couple of months on Max, getting a stable 8mb connection within the first week.

My router is acknowledging the 8mb line also, but I just cant see that I am getting anywhere near that performance - which is a tad rich as we are paying for it

My line is completely stable though - have had a few problems with no connection but nothing major or for long

in Eclipse Connection Manager it is saying Estimated Stable Line Rate : not set

Last edited:
Soldato
VeNT said:
what are you on?
theres still the pos that its either your kit or the line to the exchange.

I have a Netgear DG834PN 108Mbps Rangemax Wireless ADSL2 router attached with cat 5 cable to my realtek gigabit port on my motherboard

Soldato
FrankJH said:
I am on 3 aswell, which I was told was a decent service - but I cant understand how they can classify that if I am not even getting 1/2 the speed I am meant to........

http://usertools.plus.net/tutorials/id/27

What do you get on the test in the link above?

Being on Option 3 only cuts out a bit of contention at the ISP, you're still on the same level as everyone else at the exchange etc.

Soldato
Phil99 said:
http://usertools.plus.net/tutorials/id/27

What do you get on the test in the link above?

Being on Option 3 only cuts out a bit of contention at the ISP, you're still on the same level as everyone else at the exchange etc.

I will try this later when I get home - and report back

wouldnt you say though that cutting contention would increase liklihood of getting nearer your maximum download speed?

Soldato
Phil99 said:
According to Eclipse you're on an UP TO 8Mbps line. This can vary due to factors including (but not limited to):

• Your equipment (some USB modems can't handle full speed)
  • Your phone line (speed the line syncs at depends on quality of line)
  • Exchange contention
  • ISP contention
  • Download server capacity

I don't see the most inportant one there, distance for your exchange. Your sync speed decreases proportionaly to line length. I see quality of the line but this doesn't necessarily mean distance, you can have a poor quality short line because the wiring in your house for the phone lines is bad.

I'm on BT's maxDSL product and can only get 4Mb because of my line length. When my line was enabled my modem synced at 8Mb but over a day or so it dropped until it reached the maximum stable speed. The hardware in the DSLAM is designed to sync your modem up at the highest rate possible. ISP's who are taking advantage of maxDSL should inform you that after your line has been activated that there is a 10 day period where your line is monitored to check that it is stable. Your line can still adapt itself after this but it does it less often.

Deathwish said:
Im guessing that they are just shaping everything thats encrypted, rather than a port.

You can't really shape encrypted traffic because some encrypted traffic is litrally just noise (you can't even tell that it's encrypted traffic you're seeing) so their only option would be to shape everything that cannot be identified.

Hopefully this won't become widespread because as soon as an ISP starts shaping VoIP traffic we may have to get involved in all of this net neutraility stuff that they are debating in the US at the moment. Should your ISP give priority to it's own services before traffic from elsewhere, eg. an ISP may give priority for it's VoIP service over Skype.

Last edited:
Soldato
RobH said:
I don't see the most inportant one there, distance for your exchange. Your sync speed decreases proportionaly to line length. I see quality of the line but this doesn't necessarily mean distance, you can have a poor quality short line because the wiring in your house for the phone lines is bad.
Distance is completely irrelevant, it's totally down to line quality.

Soldato
csmager said:
Distance is completely irrelevant, it's totally down to line quality.

But as the line length increases the SNR drops decreasing the quality of the signal you receive. Someone who lives 10km from an exchange will not be able to get 8Mb where as someone only 1km would be able to. The longer loop the quiter the signal.

Soldato
Distance is one of the many factors that contribute to line quality, but it's not the only one.

Someone with a short aluminium line that runs past a load of noise sources and has dodgy joints in every junctino box might get 1Mb. Someone with a much longer copper line that runs past no noise sources might get 8Mb.

Soldato
csmager said:
Distance is one of the many factors that contribute to line quality, but it's not the only one.

Someone with a short aluminium line that runs past a load of noise sources and has dodgy joints in every junctino box might get 1Mb. Someone with a much longer copper line that runs past no noise sources might get 8Mb.

But genrally if your getting your ADSL off an ISP buying BT Wholesale lines (most of them) which are twisted copper pairs used for POTS then one of the main factors that will determine the speed you will get is distance. Using this theory if you switch to another ISP using BT Wholesale lines you should get the same sync speed as long as it's the same ADSL technology.

Caporegime
RobH said:
are twisted copper pairs used for POTS

Not always, as csmager (rightly) said.

Using this theory if you switch to another ISP using BT Wholesale lines you should get the same sync speed as long as it's the same ADSL technology.

That much is true, but it's not exclusively because of loop length.

It certainly isn't "the most important one" to consider, and your sync rate does not vary proportionately with loop length, nor attenuation.

Soldato
FrankJH said:
The result I just got was 2205kbps using their method of logging in with a BT account with my router

not that decent for an 8mb line is it?

Unfortunately not, but that test cuts Eclipse out of the loop which means that your speed issues seem to be mainly down to exchange contention (or possibly your equipment)

The annoying thing about that is BTWholesale will only consider it a "fault" if it goes sub-400Kbps, so nothing you can do about it really :(

Soldato
Phil99 said:
Unfortunately not, but that test cuts Eclipse out of the loop which means that your speed issues seem to be mainly down to exchange contention (or possibly your equipment)

The annoying thing about that is BTWholesale will only consider it a "fault" if it goes sub-400Kbps, so nothing you can do about it really :(

Yeah I see your point - can I discount my equipment if my router is registering the 8mb line in full, or not?

Caporegime
The other problem is that the BT Speedtester has a recognised fault where the values it gives are woefully inaccurate if your throughput is much more than 2Mbps.

can I discount my equipment if my router is registering the 8mb line in full, or not?

Not. It's only reporting your sync rate.

Some routers (a Solwise did it for one) gave ATM congestion warnings in its logs, which might or might not be useful.

Back
Top Bottom