Eclipse Internet - Traffic Shaping?

Soldato
tolien said:
The other problem is that the BT Speedtester has a recognised fault where the values it gives are woefully inaccurate if your throughput is much more than 2Mbps.

Not. It's only reporting your sync rate.

Some routers (a Solwise did it for one) gave ATM congestion warnings in its logs, which might or might not be useful.

Ok thank you - will look tonight whether my netgear gives congestion warnings - but i think not

Do you recommend any test which is more reliable?

Caporegime
FrankJH said:
Ok thank you - will look tonight whether my netgear gives congestion warnings - but i think not

It doesn't. Nor does my Cisco :shrug:

Do you recommend any test which is more reliable?

Nope. BT still want you to use the Speedtester, and there's no alternative that doesn't involve your ISP.

Soldato
Just thought I would thank everyone for their help and give a final update:

Just been speaking to tech support at Eclipse (who seemed actually reasonably knowledgable) and they advised that concurrent downloads will usually work faster ( ie potentially a far server may limit you to 2mb however without altering performance your end its possibly to download 3 or 4 similar files simultaneously before end user notices any drop or slow down)

Dont know if anyone else has found this, or whether its a common theme being told to everyone?

It was proved while I was on the line by trying to download several 640m iso's at the same time, and with two files downloading I was getting around 8mb speed - even though with one I was only getting 5-6mb - and with more concurrent files it stayed at approx 8mb

Thanks everyone

Soldato
If you install a download manager like FlashGet you can download a single file using multiple connections which boosts the speed quite a bit.

Soldato
Phil99 said:
If you install a download manager like FlashGet you can download a single file using multiple connections which boosts the speed quite a bit.

I am sure thats true - but I am guessing thats true of any type of connection?

Soldato
OP
FrankJH said:
I am sure thats true - but I am guessing thats true of any type of connection?
depends, sometimes you can max out a download with one thread, but sometimes its better off with 2 or 3, sometimes 10, it depends on the connection and the place you download from, some download servers are setup to max each thread to 100k/s or whatever and or only alow one thread per IP/PC.
it seems that eclipse have somehow got a setup that maxes each request to a set speed, so while your total bandwidth is x, your max bandwidth PER THREAD is 1/5th of x

Soldato
ok fair enough thank you for that

you summise is correct - idid find it strange however that as soon as I reported it the d/l appeared a lot faster straight away but maybe me just being suspicious

Back
Top Bottom