1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ecu remap questions

Discussion in 'Motors' started by vygec, 16 Jan 2006.

1. vygec

Gangster

I have a passat 1.8T (2001 year model). I am considering an ecu remap, as the performance gain is quite unbelievable... from 150bhp to 212bhp!!.

Im looking for anyone who has done this, any regrets? Did it change fuel consumption, or overall wear n tear to car.
    i'm impressed by the figures.. but not not really keen on trashing my car for a performance gain

Revo seem to know what their doing, so these are the guys who i would probably go with..
    Any thoughts?
    Ta.

2. eidolon

Capodecina

More power equals more petrol (it has to come from somewhere!) so if you are a quick driver your fuel economy will probably be worse however if you drive sedately then you might not notice any difference (although if you drive like that then what's the point of the remap?)

The way turbo engines gain power is usually from running more boost hence more wear and tear. As long as they map within the tolerance levels of the car you should have no problems (ie instead of needing a new turbo at 100k, you might now need one at 90k)

3. kaiowas

Capodecina

Only if you use it.

Remember that just because your car has a higher peak power figure doesn't mean you have to drive faster.

4. Human Torch

Banned

Exactly what ^ he said! As far as I know, this power upgrade is well within the turbos tollerance of the 1.8Ts, but as above, it will ultimately increase wear on the turbo and other components. Still fun to do though, so, lets get busy! :D