EE Price increase

Soldato
I just received a text from EE - they are increasing the prices yet again, anyone else aware of this? They are quite some increases (55p -> 65p for calls per minute out of plan / 08 numbers). Sounds like it may be liable to rescind the contract? Anyone else aware of this?

I've had that with EE too but on a contract. The "contract" was £46 to begin with, then it went to £47 the following year and £48 the year after. Dirty. So I've sacked them off. Gone sim-only now with Three for £20/month, still unlimited everything including data. A shame because EE (and Orange) were actually pretty decent and I've been with them since year 2000. Loyalty never pays, and my income has dropped by £120/month this year, so I've sacked off a lot of my utility providers for cheaper alternatives.

Soldato
I've had that with EE too but on a contract. The "contract" was £46 to begin with, then it went to £47 the following year and £48 the year after. Dirty..

All the main carriers do it. A few brown envelopes here and there, suddenly Ofcom think it’s acceptable that telcos can make in contract price changes. Every other business has to make long term decisions regarding their finances, yet the enormously profitable telcos are allowed to charge customers RPI increases every year.

The worst part of it is, if you join in march, you get hit by the price rise in April, so you’re effectively paying for your provider’s “yearly increase in costs” up front. It’s absolutely scandalous.

Soldato
Spoke to one CS at EE and was told I could cancel but would need to pay £300 for my phone told him where to go as I had paid upfront for my phone and did not follow his made up rules.

Spoke to a second person was told I could leave penalty free and my contract would end in 30 days. Forgot I needed a PAC code so third CS said my contract would end penalty free as soon as I use the PAC.

Win!

Associate
EE says that as the majority of its customers are on tariffs which include unlimited calls and texts, most won't be materially affected.

But if you suffer "material detriment" as a result of the price increase, you CAN leave your contract without paying an early termination charge.

EE says it's contacting customers who are materially impacted by the change to let them know they're eligible to leave penalty-free. You'll need to contact EE within 30 days of receiving your notification about the price increase.

Or if you'd prefer to stick with EE, this could be a good opportunity to haggle a better deal – see our Mobile Phone Haggling guide for full info.

If you regularly use out-of-bundle services, you may also be better off changing your plan to include more calls or texts. Or if you make lots of international calls, check our Cheap UK and International Calls guide to see if you can do it more cheaply.

If you're not contacted, but believe you will suffer "material detriment" as a result of the change, contact EE to ask to be able to leave penalty-free.

Soldato
Just to add EE apparently should not have cancelled my contract but have and they won't cancel my wife's.

Sounds like they don't know what they are doing as they kept going on about RPI which is not the email or text.

Wouldn't touch EE with a barge pole going forward.

Back
Top Bottom