Egg Fried Rice - Homemade!

Soldato
I often use lard for making egg fried rice. Animal fat gives it a better flavour.

I use MSG in mine as well, in place of any seasoning, it's a traditional ingredient, there's nothing wrong with it used in it's proper place.

Soldato
Last time I made anything near egg fried rice did pretty mch as the OP but added mushrooms with the onions and cooked fried them both with some garlic and ginger.

Soldato
Rice is ok as long as you stick it in the fridge in a sealed container as soon as its cooled down enough so that it doesnt damage the fridge from being warm etc.

Its what all takeaways do generally.

Soldato
Reheating it 'properly' does NOT kill the toxic stuff that the bacteria produce!

The important part is cooling it properly after the first cook. Get it cooled down quickly and store it properly. Do not leave it lying around on the worktop for ages.

Caporegime
Only if you don't reheat properly. Either ice cold or piping hot, not in between.

A certain bacteria thrives in the rice when it's warm.

It has nothing to do with reheating. There is a bacteria in rice that survives being boiled, when the rice cools down to close to room temperatures the spores come to life and the bacteria quickly multiply. But the bacteria themselves are harmless, this specific species of bacteria through release a toxin.The toxin is then present in the rice and is not broken down by heat - whatever you do to the rice from this point wont make it safe to eat.

Therefore once you have cooked rice which you wont immediate eat is you will have to cool it and put it in the fridge ASAP. It also wont last too long in the fridge ( a few days is OK).

Whenever you are reheating a takeaway it is always the rice you need to be careful of. Even if the meat is crawling with bacteria if you get it piping hot it is likly not a big deal. The Rice, can be toxic however long you cook it for.

Caporegime
And in case anyine doesn't think it is serious, it can be fatal:

^ Takabe F, Oya M (1976). "An autopsy case of food poisoning associated with Bacillus cereus". ForensicSci 7 (2): 97–101.
^ Mahler H et al. (1997). "Fulminant liver failure in association with the emetic toxin of Bacillus cereus". N Engl J Med 336 (16): 1142–1148. doi:10.1056/NEJM199704173361604. PMID 9099658.
^ Dierick K et al. (2005). "Fatal family outbreak of Bacillus cereus-associated food poisoning". J Clin Microbiol 43 (8): 4277–4279. doi:10.1128/JCM.43.8.4277-4279.2005.
^ Shiota, M et al. (2010). "Rapid Detoxification of Cereulide in Bacillus cereus Food Poisoning". Pediatrics 125 (4): e951–e955. doi:10.1542/peds.2009-2319.
^ Naranjo, M et al. (2011). "Sudden Death of a Young Adult Associated with Bacillus cereus Food Poisoning". J Clin Microbiol 49 (12): 4379–4381. doi:10.1128/JCM.05129-11.

Mostly the symptoms a are mild and you get better quickly but getting sick is not pleasant, and with a small risk of death on the side doesn't seem like fun.

Caporegime
A billion Chinese people and not one of those are victims there, what are the chances?!

That is a very strong claim. Can you prove to me that not a single Chinese person has ever died from eating intoxicated rice? The burden of proof rests upon you since you made this claim.

I will except any publication in a peer reviewed scientific journal with an impact factor above 1.0.

Caporegime
Who says anything that it was a claim? Who said anything about ever?

Takabe (1976)
Mahler (1997)
Dieick (2005)
Shiota (2010)
Naranjo (2011)

A billion Chinese people and not one of those are victims there, what are the chances?!

Note the word, there...your list. I knew you were going to say something like that, it was what the edit for the post was for, i added the word "there", knowing you would say something like that :D

I was referring to those names, I take it those are the victims? Was merely referring to they don't sound like Chinese names to me. You would think one of those would be Chinese...seeing statistically, how many Chinese people are there on the planet vs other nationalities and how much rice they eat....you know, you would expect at least one of those 5 would be Chinese ? :p

p.s. I also said that as a joke, like the others. You seem to take it so seriously ! Just like the banana thing all over again.

Personally, the risk is so small, it's not even worth thinking about, you have more chance dying from crossing the road, it doesn't stop me crossing the road does it?

Last edited:
Soldato
Who says anything that it was a claim? Who said anything about ever?

Takabe (1976)
Mahler (1997)
Dieick (2005)
Shiota (2010)
Naranjo (2011)

Note the word, there...your list. I knew you were going to say something like that, it was what the edit for the post was for, i added the word "there", knowing you would say something like that :D

I was referring to those names, I take it those are the victims? Was merely referring to they don't sound like Chinese names to me. You would think one of those would be Chinese...seeing statistically, how many Chinese people are there on the planet vs other nationalities and how much rice they eat....you know, you would expect at least one of those 5 would be Chinese ? :p

Sounds like those are the names of the authors of the papers, not the victims.

Caporegime
Sounds like those are the names of the authors of the papers, not the victims.

Okay, but one of them should be struck out.

http://jcm.asm.org/content/49/12/4379.full

ABSTRACT

A lethal intoxication case, which occurred in Brussels, Belgium, is described. A 20-year-old man died following the ingestion of pasta contaminated with Bacillus cereus. Emetic strains of B. cereus were isolated, and high levels of cereulide (14.8 μg/g) were found in the spaghetti meal.

May be we should start worrying about that too ?

All I make sure is I eat fresh, keep food clean, cooking equipment clean, the rest of it is not worth any time for worry. :)

Oh, at the end of that article...

Although we cannot incriminate B. cereus as the direct and unique cause of death.

and

In this case, the spaghetti had been kept at room temperature for several days

Who does that?! That's just asking for trouble.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom