Associate
ok guys so i need your opinion on something

i bought a EK D5 pump second hand and the person who i bought it off re crimped the cable so it goes directly into the peripherals port on the PSU instead of via molex (pictured below)

https://imgur.com/7bAZrnd
https://imgur.com/4gIejFV

i have an EVGA B2 750W power supply

which does have a peripheral port which i can connect the pump to however, the pump does not turn on which raises a few questions - when i first connected my loop, i had a leak which did go on the pump - at this point i never even turned it on so it is hard to tell if the reason it wont start is because water got into the pump or the connections

or it be that the pin layout / voltage doesn't match the peripheral socket on my psu? some links say to never plug directly into psu and always use a molex, the person who i bought it of was 100% sure that all powers supplies have the same pin layout / voltage for peripherals these days so it should be working connected directly into the psu

i could always try re crimping it back into the correct molex form which it comes out of the factory on the d5 pump rather than the re crimped socket i bought second hand, and then use the molex which comes out of my psu which i know is definitely working/ correct

whats your guys opinion on it ? water damage or incorrect pin/voltage to be directly connected into psu ?

thanks

Soldato
I might be wrong, but afaik not all power supplies use the same layouts for the pins? Its why you should never use cables from one PSU onto another type. It might be he crimped them for use on his power supply and yours might have slightly different pin layout?

Associate
OP
I might be wrong, but afaik not all power supplies use the same layouts for the pins? Its why you should never use cables from one PSU onto another type. It might be he crimped them for use on his power supply and yours might have slightly different pin layout?

this is what i was thinking - perhaps he re crimped it for his psu and my one has a different set up, surely a little bit of liquid which as far as i am aware didn't even get into the actual pump or connections, just sleeving wouldn't damage it - although he was adamant that the pin layout shouldnt effect it which goes against what most forums / people say about different brands for psu and psu cables

maybe my best course of action is to re crimp it back to its original molex form and then if it doesn't work then i know for sure its broken

Soldato
this is what i was thinking - perhaps he re crimped it for his psu and my one has a different set up, surely a little bit of liquid which as far as i am aware didn't even get into the actual pump or connections, just sleeving wouldn't damage it - although he was adamant that the pin layout shouldnt effect it which goes against what most forums / people say about different brands for psu and psu cables

maybe my best course of action is to re crimp it back to its original molex form and then if it doesn't work then i know for sure its broken

I'd go down the route of trying to get it back to stock imo.

Associate
Do you have the PWM cable plugged into the motherboard? My mobo sends the PWM signal to ground when the board is not powered ie turns the pump off (been caught out by this). So when filling/ testing the loop I have to unplug the pwm cable from the board which makes it spin at 10%, then I jump the pwm wire to a 5v molex pin to make it spin at 100%.

Associate
OP
i actually checked the pins on the peripheral port on my psu ( looked at the connector for the cable which goes into psu) , the pins on the pump actually didn't match up hence why it wouldn't turn on - i am in the process of ordering the crimping equipment to turn it back to molex and it should work, i will update the thread once ive done that and if it works

Back
Top Bottom