EKWB GTX1080Ti FTW3 - right placement of thermal pads?

Associate
As per subject, this is the first GPU waterblock I've ever tried putting together. Does this look like the right placement of the thermal pads?

IMG-20200919-210521.jpg

Associate
OP
no worries bud, let us know how you get on. The lack of video cards showing up in project threads is a real killer lol, nothing to read or look at on a Sunday morning/afternoon.
Will do! Not done anything with it this morning as my back has been giving me jip, but hopefully will do this afternoon.

I was surprised how sticky the EVGA pads were. Not sure if I did the right thing here, but I ran the card a bit before taking it apart, thinking the GPU die TIM might be easier to separate. It was indeed quite easy, but the pads were really sticky and sadly a couple of the EVGA ones tore a little.

If I ever need to reassemble it, such as when I sell it to my work mate, then I'll need to get a load of replacement pad strips.

Soldato
Will do! Not done anything with it this morning as my back has been giving me jip, but hopefully will do this afternoon.

I was surprised how sticky the EVGA pads were. Not sure if I did the right thing here, but I ran the card a bit before taking it apart, thinking the GPU die TIM might be easier to separate. It was indeed quite easy, but the pads were really sticky and sadly a couple of the EVGA ones tore a little.

If I ever need to reassemble it, such as when I sell it to my work mate, then I'll need to get a load of replacement pad strips.
Tbh you can use ripped pads aslong as you align them correctly and there isn't a significant gap between the tears. I've reused ripped pads before without issue, they work the same way still aslong as its making contact with the component and the block.

Associate
OP
IMG-20200920-141958.jpg

IMG-20200920-142019.jpg

IMG-20200920-142245.jpg

Well so far I don't think I have messed anything up! Really been taking my time, in between my back being an absolute barsteward and giving me jip.

Impressed with the quality of the EKWB block. The proof will be when I plumb it all in and hit the go button :eek::eek::eek::eek:

Soldato
IMG-20200920-141958.jpg

IMG-20200920-142019.jpg

IMG-20200920-142245.jpg

Well so far I don't think I have messed anything up! Really been taking my time, in between my back being an absolute barsteward and giving me jip.

Impressed with the quality of the EKWB block. The proof will be when I plumb it all in and hit the go button :eek::eek::eek::eek:

I'm sure you'll be fine mate, if its all put together right nothing will go wrong. Should be no tension when screwing things down, if there is then you're probably squashing something that shouldn't be.

You using hardline or soft tubing?

Back
Top Bottom