electric ariel atom

Associate
Yeah impressive, but in a long race the petrol car wins all the time :D

I wonder what it would have been like up against the Atom.
It doesnt seem right though watching it go that fast without any engine note. At least we could hear the 360 and 911.

Soldato
erm

For the chassis, we turned to Ariel, in Somerset. (www.arielmotor.co.uk). Simon Saunders, the designer of the Atom and the founder and CEO of Ariel, has created in our view one of the world’s most beautiful cars, as well as the quickest, lightest chassis on the road. To drive it is a revelation. Simon’s background is in automotive design, notably for Aston Martin and Porsche. The Atom chassis was substantially modified for the electric drive train, but retains the original styling.

Nice figures:

Performance
• 0-60 ~ 3.0 seconds
• Standing quarter mile ~11.5 seconds
• Top speed 112mph (electronically limited)
• Range >100 miles in urban use
• Charger: onboard conductive. Input 100-250V 50 or 60 Hz. Current: user adjustable up to 80A
• Energy consumption 200 WHr/mile in urban use, equivalent to 170 mpg (33,705 WHr/gallon)

Last edited:
Suspended
I've always wondered, wouldn't racing cars such as F1 benefit from using electric power over fuel? As these cars usually only do 30 or so laps before they refuel, the charge would last? Surely they'd save quite a bit of weight.

Associate
refuzion said:
I've always wondered, wouldn't racing cars such as F1 benefit from using electric power over fuel? As these cars usually only do 30 or so laps before they refuel, the charge would last? Surely they'd save quite a bit of weight.

Not in the rules.

Associate
OP
batteries is the real letdown at the moment in terms of progression for electric powered vehicles, too small capacity, too expensive right now, and compared to petrol, takes too long to recharge.

But they have so much potential, depending on the source of electricity they can be very environmentally friendly. Less moving parts so as reliable if not more so than conventional engines. Max torque at the get go, and amazing energy efficiency (something like 90% of the energy is actually used to move the vehicle, compared to the incredible waste of only 30% being motive force in petrol).

Soldato
refuzion said:
That would mean changing the battery at pit stops, or waiting for about 5 hours for it to charge. Saying that, it wouldn't make it any more boring to watch atm :o

Back
Top Bottom