Electric cars

JRS

JRS

Soldato
When you drive a normal car it is charged the battery right?

Why can't worries cars charge themselves as they drive?

Lots do, through regenerative tech (using the motors as generators when slowing down). Unfortunately for perpetual motion fanatics, there's this pesky thing called 'physics' getting in the way of recovering all of the energy used to gain motion in the first place ;)

JRS

JRS

Soldato
Is it just a case of lacking effective energy capture

No, it's (partly) a case of a portion of the input power being turned into sound or heat, whether that's from the motor or the tyres or whatever transmission the vehicle is using. And you aren't recovering that.

The first and second laws of thermodynamics also say 'hi'.

Caporegime
Is it just a case of lacking effective energy capture

It's all about rolling resistance, kinetic energy losses, thermal losses, wind resistance and a multitude of other factors. If someone managed to create a car which generated enough energy to sustain itself indefinitely, they'd change the world overnight and would be Oprah rich within a month.

Caporegime
pfft I want 400Volts minimum going through my wipers.

cant they transform down to 12V off the big battery?
The issue is mainly parasitic drain from ancillary systems when the car is off. That and the fact that when the car is off, the HV battery is physically disconnected from the driveline with contactors. You’d rather ruin a “cheap” 12v battery by draining it too low than ruin your £15,000 HV pack.

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

When you drive a normal car it is charged the battery right?

Why can't worries cars charge themselves as they drive?
:rolleyes:

People ask me this all the time about my ebike "so does it charge while you pedal". These people also get a :rolleyes:

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

Why do electric cars need a standard 12volt car battery?

Most dont now. They have a step down converter that uses the main battery for 12v systems (some are now even using 24v and 36v systems).

Back
Top Bottom