Electric guitar / amp?

Associate
Hi,

I've been playing acoustic for a while now (really loving it) and fancy trying an electric. Intersted in the american deluxe strats or possibly a deluxe tele.

Basically my question is - am I better spending big bucks on a deluxe strat and buying a cheepo(ish) amp or is the amp as important? Happy to spend ~1500 all in. Maybe get a standard american strat and a better amp? I'm clueless when it comes to amps so suggestions welcome.

Had a play of both a strat and a tele in a shop the other day - my first time with an electric guitar - awsome fun! (and OMG how much easier is a barre on an electric!) I Found I kept hitting the pickup selector on the strat when playing tho, anyone else get that?

EDIT: another option - as I'm new to electric buy cheep guitar and amp and upgrade later?

Cheers!

Last edited:
Soldato
Just my tuppence worth, but I think effects are equally important as the amp and one of the best things about an electric guitar over an acoustic. Consider a decent multi-FX box along with your other expenses.

Soldato
go for a decent amp first as it is 90% of the sound you will hear.

then spend a similar or slightly less amount on a decent stray or tele. however if your gonna spend this amount then make sure you know that your still going to be playing in years to come, otherwise it'll be a complete waste ;)

Soldato
£1500 is a good sum of money, as long as you're not buying a Gibson :p. In my opinion the Deluxe's aren't a lot better than the American Series; only in that they come with noiseless pickups and (I believe still) S1 switching for more sounds. The amp/guitar combination, will depend on what sort of sound you're looking for, what type of music you play, and where you play it. Since you don't appear to be wanting a pointy guitar, I will assume you're not into heavy metal or somesuch.

The Deluxe Reverb Reissue is well regarded, although it's 22watts and is rather loud - possibly too loud for home playing with the natural overdrive. It sounds quite bright, wonderful tone. Alternatively, you could go for one of the warmer Hot Rod Series, of which the Blues Junior at 15W may be more suited for home playing. It's quite poor at distortion, but you could always use a pedal if you wish. A Blues Junior would be cheap enough to afford a Deluxe too. I personally rather like the inexpensive Champ 600 for home playing (5W)..

I'm afraid I don't know much about other manufacture's amps; but with £1500 I'd get an American Series (Strat) and a Deluxe Reverb.

Both the Guitar and amp are important, and the above is an excellent combination which you would not need to upgrade. As for Masterdog - effects? Not for me! They just pollute a great sounding guitar and amp (unless they're really needed, like heavy reverb in surf!)

Last edited:
Soldato
I really like the idea of owning a POD or something, but it's no way near as much of a necessity as a nice guitar or amp, in my opinion.

As recommended above, I'd be looking at a nice American Strat Standard/Deluxe. Have a shop around and see what you can get for the money.

As for amps, I'm not too clued up, but I know first hand that the Fender Deluxe Reverb is an absolutely superb amp. And with a nice Strat going through it, it will really sound awesome. Have a shop around though, and see what takes you fancy. :)

Associate
If I had that money I would buy this.

http://www.voxamps.co.uk/heritagecollection/ac15h_head_and_cab.asp

Zach Vex (guitar effects guru) said this was the best amp he'd heard in 5 years.

After that try a few guitars in your price range and take the one you like the most. Most expensive doesn't mean best. My Standard USA Strat is nothing special (although some will be great) I prefer my dirt cheap Squier Tele. Each guitar will be different.

Back
Top Bottom