Soldato
Today I was working away at my PC, all of the sudden my electric went off.

So I checked the trip switch box and the main curcuit have tripped, I flicked it up and boom... off again.

So I thought what is causing it, so I started turning off the wall sockets. Then I walked into the living room and found the problem.

Essentially my son was in the shower and because he is a muppet he was flooding the bathroom floor and the water was running the way gravity intends. I found this.....

The plug at the base of this wall when I removed the plug that was plugged in was wet on the plug prongs,so water got into the socket.

I now need to wait for it all to dry out and see if any permanent damage has occured.

leak.PNG

Associate
There was another thread about a similar incident recently where somebody's relative spilling kettle water on the plug sockets (or similar).

I posted in that thread about my newborn baby kicking water down the back of the kitchen worktops which went on the dishwasher wiring causing the house to trip. It was all fine once it had dried out though.

Soldato
OP
We have a glass partition and the shower is over the bath. But the glass only cover 50% of the lenght if the bath.
We have told him.numerous time to put a towel.down on thr floor to soak the exvess water. But 14 year olds don't listen.

I am fitting a shower curtain amd rail today.

Soldato
We have a glass partition and the shower is over the bath. But the glass only cover 50% of the lenght if the bath.
We have told him.numerous time to put a towel.down on thr floor to soak the exvess water. But 14 year olds don't listen.

I am fitting a shower curtain amd rail today.

Just unwire his plugs in room and say the water done it. While he can't play his PC or console it might put the message home ;)

Soldato
OP
Well the main ring on the house is still tripping, so still no power. I am using extension leads from the garage into the kitchen to power the fridge, and power my conservatory which is where my PC, router etc is.

I have also run power from the garage into the living room so the TV and PS4 works, however we have no power upstairs at all still.

Soldato
OP
I have ripped up the floor from my bathroom today. Try to find where the water ingressed.

I have marked on the first image whihc floor boards are wet after lifting the flooring.

I have been to homebase today and bought some wood to make a frame so I can fit a cover from the end of the bath to the wall and tile it, this way I can seal that space and it should stop any future water going down there. I also think part of the problem is when anybody has a shower the walls get very moist and afterwards it must run down the walls and under the flooring into the floor board etc.

2017-08-13%2021.48.31.jpg

2017-08-13%2021.48.35.jpg

2017-08-13%2021.48.44.jpg

Soldato
can you lift a few bathroom floorboards to see if you have a junction box with water ingress, or extract the ground floor socket to see what is there ... but maybe you already did.

Soldato
OP
I cannot lift the floor boards here without ripping the bath out, and that is not something I want to do. I left a large fan running pointed into the space between the floor boardss I'm hoping this airflow will help with the drying process.

I have power currently via the garage so a couple more days to dry isn't a massive problem, it is just an inconvenience really. If after a couple more days it is still tripping out I will then have to try soemthing more drastic.

Soldato
OP
I've just tried my electric trip box, and it is all working now. It has stopped tripping, maybe the fact I pointed a large desk fan at that area last night (running all night) has helped the drying process?

Anyway it is sorted now. I will check for bath seals later today and I'm making a timber frame for the end of the bath and them fitting tiles to box it over and seal it to the wall and bath. Should stop it happening again I think.

Soldato
Those cables are nice and tight on the I'm assuming hot/cold and possibly central heading pipes?

Could you not get an IP65 junction box and change it over? And while you have the cables out maybe get them away from the pipes.

Back
Top Bottom