1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Electricity top up

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by willd58, 3 Aug 2006.

1. willd58

PermaBanned

Hi, i have one of these instead of an electricity meter, i have no idea how it works other than i have to take the stick out and top it up at the post office down the road.

[​IMG]

Does anyone know how i find out how much money on the meter i have left?

Last edited: 3 Aug 2006
  2. benjo plz.

Capodecina

When the light's go out, you've run out of credit :p.

3. willd58

PermaBanned

Thats kinda what im trying to avoid! :D

4. crashuk

PermaBanned

you see the 2 fat red wires well disconnect them and move them over to the to other guys system :D
    yer go get it topped up and just stick it in.

5. basmic

PermaBanned

I can't remember, but you just tap one of the buttons - it cycles through the data as you press it.

The other one, my favourite button - insert key, press button. On goes only a pound from whatever is on your key. If your leccy runs out overnight, no standby devices will sap away at your juice. :cool:

6. basmic

PermaBanned

Just read instructions on meter. :o

Press grey button for credit release.

So if you get say £7 on your key, and want to use about £1 a day over the week. Just insert key, press grey button - it'll say £1. Press it again, to add another quid. However much you need to take off the key.

I always irritated my landlord. Was a shared passageway downstairs, and I had 1st and 2nd floor (lived above a shop). Sometimes he'd want the light on in passageway - of course, my leccy runs the passageway light, and I had stuffed my key somewhere safe. :D:D:o

7. benjo plz.

Capodecina

Looking at the picture, the instructions he wants don't seem to be there :p.

8. basmic

PermaBanned

All he needs to do is press the blue button. It'll cycle through, and he'll eventually see his balance. Doesn't even need to shove his key in. :confused:

9. willd58

PermaBanned

It cycles threw alot of numbers, but im not sure which one is my balance, im hoping its not the one thats just simply 5, cause that means i only have 5p left. :(

i think i might go and cycle threw the whole lot, write down each one, and post them here, see if you guys can figure it out.

10. DRZ

Soldato

The image you posted seems to have a £ sign on it...

£2.48 perhaps?

That image is bigger than the sun btw, so it might need resizing to one that doesnt kill children...

Last edited: 3 Aug 2006
  11. Foehammer2003

Hitman

yeah i think it is a £ sign, lol but if it is it says £24201! lol guessing where the decimal point is, bit like pin the tail on the donkey

12. willd58

PermaBanned

right, here goes

on the first cycle, the first number says =E 248.01

a press of the button changes it

the word "rate 1" is highlighted along with "accepted" with the number -E6.16

another press changes it to

total charge per week = E 0.080

then it displays 8000000 or so KWph or somthing

then it goes to rate 2 which = 0 on every screen

A final number is E- -E0.005

Then it displays total debt = 0.00000

I am completely confused, anyone got any idea's?

Edit: im guna call my landlady's tommorow and see if they know, ill also call the electricity company, im just wondering if i can figure it out tonight.

13. willd58

PermaBanned

changed it

14. basmic

PermaBanned

I believe that's the total amount put on the meter, since it was installed. I could be wrong.
    That sounds like it's the total amount on your meter, after inserting the key.
    That's your supplier's rates. Are you sure the total charge per week isn't 8p/day?
    What gets me, is it isn't showing how much you have for emergency. Most key meters give you £1/£5 emergency - so if you forget to top-up your key, just bang on some emergency credit to tide you over.

Out of interested, could you go through those readings again, with the key inserted? Possibly some photos, too?

15. peter_hutson

Wise Guy

If you have any doubts over the rate you're paying for your electricity give your supplier a ring. A few years ago I got stung by one of the these meters. I moved house and found that it had a pre-pay meter. Thought nothing off it, until I realised one day that I was spending rather a lot. Gave my supplier a ring and found out that I was paying twice the market rate, as the previous owners had run up a huge bill. So they installed a pre-pay meter with and inflated rate to recover the debt over time. The gits I bought the house from never bothered to tell me, nor did the electricity company when I contacted them on moving in!

16. dirtydog

PermaBanned

Ugh, I used to have one of those - bloody expensive as I recall :/ I would change to a normal meter if you can. (plus buying cards for it was a PITA)

17. willd58

PermaBanned

Iv got an update on this.... :(

Apparently the first figure is indeed my balance, and on moving in i moved into the house with a debt of 240.00 odd pounds. Iv contacted my landlady's. there guna sort it out, any idea's how i should go about this? Obv im not guna be paying it, but I also want to know how to tactifully avoid confrontation, as im not as diplomatic as some.

18. Mr Mag00

Hitman

to get over this you need to get your balance above the debt of £240. when i moved in to a flat that was what i had to do then the leccy Co refunded me. This is due to the previous tennent(sp?) not informing the leccy Co that they were leaving and the weekly charge continues to build up. there is no other way around im afraid.

19. wolvotim

Hitman

Connect the two outer grey cables that go into the meter together in a connector block and hey presto free leccy :p

-----------edit----------------
    BTW don’t actually do that wouldn’t want to get anyone arrested ;)

Last edited: 20 Aug 2006
  20. rayer

Wise Guy

Believe it or not, but I moved in to my house 3 weeks ago, and just found this out as well. Will they give me a refund on any of this ?