Enabling XMP profile in bios causes overclock fail! Team Group Dark Pro 16GB 3200hz

Associate
Hey all, hoping I could get some help.

I recently upgraded my entire computer and purchased "Team Group Dark Pro 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 PC4-25600C16 3200MHz Dual Channel Kit - Black/Grey (TDPGD416G3)". There was a 229 and 199 version, these are the £199 versions https://www.overclockers.co.uk/team...nnel-kit-black-grey-tdpgd416g3-my-076-tg.html, i wasnt sure what the difference was but it was cheaper. I tried to overclock them using XMP and it doesnt work, it just gives me an overclocking error message.

Any ideas why this is happening or what to do? I have flashed my board to the newest drivers 2.20 (2017-10-27)

I have a Z370-A-Pro MOBO with an i5 8600k. My ram is inserted into DIMMA2 and DIMMB2. CPU-Z shows my DRAM freq is 2113mz ?

Last edited:
Associate
OP
I just realised the reviews I have been reading are for the more expensive ones in which XMP instantly worked. Do I have to set these myself and if so, what settings should I use or where can I find this information. I have this fear that my RAM is not compatible with my mobo?

Last edited:
Associate
I had the same ram with my r7 1700 n a gaming 5 and could never get xmp to work. Not sure if it was to do with the whole ryzen/ hynix issue, but swapped it out for some 8pack dark pro and never looked back

Soldato
is this part of the whole clock rate scam? Where some memory purchased will only run at X mhz speed if you set a XMP profile. Its default clock rate is completely different to that which advertised when buying...

i'd return and refund tbh.

Associate
OP
is this part of the whole clock rate scam? Where some memory purchased will only run at X mhz speed if you set a XMP profile. Its default clock rate is completely different to that which advertised when buying...

I had the same ram with my r7 1700 n a gaming 5 and could never get xmp to work. Not sure if it was to do with the whole ryzen/ hynix issue, but swapped it out for some 8pack dark pro and never looked back

I think I may just do that really and ask for a refund. I managed to set an XMP profile at 3000mhz as recommended on MSI message boards but after running memtest 64 and 86 I was getting 1000s of errors and a BSOD. When paying so much I expect more , I think paying an extra £30 for the 8pack dark pro version might be worth it in the end then.

Associate
I'm a bit lost with this thread.
Memory will work at the speed it is sold at. However, there is no guarantee that the rest of your system will overclock.
When you first plug the memory in, it defaults to safe speed. That will be 2133MHz. You then need to enable XMP in the BIOS. If you do that and it doesn't work, it's not the RAM, it's your motherboard.
If XMP does not work, you need to take note of the RAM XMP settings and manually overclock to those settings, then start to reduce the frequency until it works.
Once you have done that you can experiment reducing the timing then the voltage of the RAM to get them as low as possible.
But overclocking is not an exact science. You can't just plug in the RAM and expect it to work.
I do agree, though, that the manufacturers don't make it clear that XMP is may well work for their RAM but your motherboard may well have issues.

Associate

What? RAM never picks it's own speed, the motherboard always does. If you don't set the speed in the bios that is your problem not a 'scam'. XMP is simply a quick way of plugging in some settings, though you can generally do better for your system doing it yourself.

As mentioned above, the RAM being able to run at a given speed does not mean other components in your system can handle it though.

Soldato
I set XMP Profile on my XMS3 RAM and it does the same, causes overclock fail. Does my head in.

Strangely enough however, I just go into bios save straight away, it happens again, so the same thing, computer boots up and runs fine with XMP :confused:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom