Ender 3 set up but won't reader card?

Associate
OP
Hi Bulb thanks from the North for your post :p

It was formatted to exFat - so I am now using Powershell to make it FAT32

It is a 59.5GB card

The files are .stl. Can they be in folders on the card? When I download something to use it has a folder files & images and 2 text docs - can they go in a folder on the card?

So I am reformating and adding my files and trying this again. Am I right? I will post back. Thanks Pod

Associate
So firstly it will need to be FAT32, 64Gb might be to big for it to recognise but give it ago. But your biggest issue the printer doesn't use the .stl files, you need to slice the files on a PC/MAC and that will give you a .gcode file. That file is what the printer understands.

Associate
OP
Thanks for sharing your expertise. I will try the formatted card and a gcode - have a look for a smaller card. Will post back progress/masterpiece!

Associate
OP
Noice, look forward to seeing some prints.

I will post my progression - 2 questions:

My printer prints with a front left bias - rather than in the centre - going to have a research.

What is retraction - how much - where does it go in that software to stop the think spider lines - however it is not too bad.
Printing on 200/bed 60.

Will post some pics - hold the phone !

Associate
I will post my progression - 2 questions:

My printer prints with a front left bias - rather than in the centre - going to have a research.

What is retraction - how much - where does it go in that software to stop the think spider lines - however it is not too bad.
Printing on 200/bed 60.

Will post some pics - hold the phone !

So for the prints being off center it's probably the fact that the default PrusaSlicer Ender 3 profile is set for a 220x220 bed, where in fact the actual bed size for an Ender 3 is 235x235, but be careful as that means the clips are in the way on a full bed print. Assuming you have the bed clips? To change the bed size in Prusa Slicer, go to Printer Settings tab, general, size and coordinates, press the set button and change it to 253 x 235. That will cause the Ender 3 build plate to lose the fancy look but it's not important.

And for retraction, it's the amount of filament in mm, that get retracted from the HotEnd, during a print. The Ender 3 is a bowden setup (The long PTFE tube) so retraction can be around the 5-6mm range, the stringing as it's known can get a few different things, cheaper filament, temp to high, not enough retraction etc. To set the length go to printer settings tab, then Extruder 1, Retraction, and the length can be set.

Hope that helps.

James.

Associate
OP
So for the prints being off center .....Hope that helps. James.

Wicked thank you for taking the time to post J. Set the bed size and tinkering with retraction. Ok pics - first print

Back
Top Bottom