Energy Suppliers

Associate
I checked uswitch and most places are wanting around 17pkwh for electric now. My current tarriff is 12p. Am I doing something wrong.
I never understand uSwitch, if I enter my details now it tells me my old supplier Ovo would be cheaper than Bulb who we moved to. Bulb are still cheaper for us and we’ve £100 in credit from taking up a referral and also giving one out

V_R

V_R

Soldato
Its time to renew for me too, currently on a cheap BG tariff.

Are smart meters better these days? Seems a lot of the cheaper tariff's require them now...

Associate
Its time to renew for me too, currently on a cheap BG tariff.

Are smart meters better these days? Seems a lot of the cheaper tariff's require them now...
We had a smart meter installed by Ovo and Bulb have managed to take it over. The Bulb app is excellent, it shows us our daily usage. I just like the fact I don’t have to enter meter readings, talking of which if you haven’t a smart meter the Bulb app allows you to take a picture of the meter and send it in to your account.

Soldato
Don't just compare your unit price consider the standing charge as well. 28p a day does not sound much but it soon adds up.

This 100%, just changing suppliers and the unit price is slightly cheaper but there is a large difference in the standing charge so over both fuels I'm saving £100 a year on the standing charge alone.

Soldato
Most dumb people only switch because their new supplier has a smaller monthly direct debit. I see this all the time on local FB and NextDoor groups.

Then they come back looking for a new supplier 6 months later when they have had their DD upped to cover the under payment. :rolleyes:

Soldato
EDF still haven't been in touch about my Direct Debit and my third payment since they went bust is about to go to Green Network Energy.

There was a big post on MSE about this, basically it could take until May but you'll be getting a good rate until then and don't cancel.

This 100%, just changing suppliers and the unit price is slightly cheaper but there is a large difference in the standing charge so over both fuels I'm saving £100 a year on the standing charge alone.

Yup, you really need to know your actual usage in kwh over the last 12 months to make any meaningful comparisons.

Man of Honour
They are very cheap for me, I have given them a look but as I'm moving house soon I don't want to complicate anything until after completion.

Soldato
EDF still haven't been in touch about my Direct Debit and my third payment since they went bust is about to go to Green Network Energy.
There was a big post on MSE about this, basically it could take until May but you'll be getting a good rate until then and don't cancel.
Oh well; i'm sure my impatience by cancelling my DD a few weeks back will cause more delay. However, in my defense, communications have been non-existent with no contact from either GNE or EDF. I'm sure it will all work out in the electrical wash!

Associate
seems British gas want monthly meter reads now as a condition of the cheapest offering same as eon next my current supplier is this the norm now ? just got regular meters at the moment

Soldato
seems British gas want monthly meter reads now as a condition of the cheapest offering same as eon next my current supplier is this the norm now ? just got regular meters at the moment
Yep, if you want cheep energy you need to give frequent readings. It's a way of pushing people to have a smart meter.

Back
Top Bottom